Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some People Call This "The Invisible Hand of the Market"
Some People Call This "The Invisible Hand of the Market"
I call it "corruption."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/stor...56689394/1

Quote:MIAMI (AP) – The U.S. is locking up more illegal immigrants than ever, generating lucrative profits for the nation's largest prison companies, and an Associated Press review shows the businesses have spent tens of millions of dollars lobbying lawmakers and contributing to campaigns.

Quote:The industry's giants —Corrections Corporation of America, The GEO Group, and Management and Training Corp. — have spent at least $45 million combined on campaign donations and lobbyists at the state and federal level in the last decade

And, in retort they claim....

Quote:CCA and GEO, who manage most private detention centers, insist they aren't trying to influence immigration policy to make more money, and their lobbying and campaign donations have been legal.

Yeah... and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
RE: Some People Call This "The Invisible Hand of the Market"
Idiots call it the invisible hand of the market. It's a mixture of corruption (both in the government and the business) and corporatism.
Corruption and corporatism is the hand of our market. I don't know about the invisible bit though, they seemed to have realized that just about anything can be accomplished in the open anymore.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Healthcare & criminal rehabilitation are two things that should never be privatized.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
You seem to think there is a difference, Divi Tiberio.

(There isn't.)
It seems there is nothing that Americans won't try to make a buck on. Despite all the talk about Jesus we have here, it seems that we actually worship the almighty dollar.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1117 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Don't hand me this garbage, FIST BUMP! Brian37 22 1752 November 4, 2020 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why does it have to be government vs market? Aegon 15 3095 December 30, 2017 at 11:47 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  When I Call Someone Like Farenthold a Fucktard - I Mean It Minimalist 2 620 December 14, 2017 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  White people assuming other white people like Trump Sterben 81 11872 April 1, 2017 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Sterben
  They can have my c*ck when they pry it from my cold dead hand... Doubting Thomas 19 4322 March 14, 2017 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What The Hell Is Wrong With Some People A Theist 47 6822 March 5, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative? InquiringMind 44 8628 February 16, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty Aegon 43 6854 February 14, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: GUBU