Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It just HAD to happen- Olympics thread
It just HAD to happen- Olympics thread
Anyone seriously watching this??

An alternative offer....
[Image: 582139_10150937777695870_338758887_n.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: It just HAD to happen- Olympics thread
Yeah, I've been liking the women's gymnastics and beach volleyball.
How to make London Olympics 2012 "work" in three simple steps.

Step 1. Have a ticking system that is a complete and utter shambles.
Step 2. Tell people to stay out of London so as not to overwhelm the already shitty public transport system.
Step 3. Make sure no one visiting the city centre buys anything from the stalls thus ensuring local businesses go bust from lack of trade.

SUCCESS.
I have not watched a single minute of the olympics so far.

By the way I am not pleased in the hundreds of millions of dollars our government spends in order for us to win as many medals as possible at the Olympics.
undefined
i have been all over them and love every minute of it.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
I’ve been keeping up with Michael Phelps. Mother fucker can swim. Most medals of all time (21), most gold medals (17), most gold medals in an individual event (11), most medals in an individual event for a male (13), most gold medals in a single Olympics (8), and an odds on favorite to add one more gold medal today. His 8 gold medals in Beijing were more gold than 86 countries could manage. The only Olympic swimmer to 3-peat in an individual event, he has done it twice. He currently holds 7 world records, is the former record holder in 2 other events and has set a world record 37 times.

I'll be watching some of the track and field events too.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I just watched double-amputee Oscar Pistorius compete in his first heat race in the 400 meter sprint. He finished second so he will move on to the semifinal. I’m not sure how I feel about that. While they say his carbon fiber prosthetics don’t offer a competitive advantage as they can’t release any more energy than he puts into them I can’t help but wonder if they don’t store and release more energy than natural legs. Kind of like a kangaroo. In any case it is an amazing personal accomplishment for Oscar to have made it to this level of competition given his disability.
Apparently, Mr. Pistorius went through an extensive study where scientists measured the input and output of energy, and they found it gives him no discernible advantage.

I have watched a little bit of the olympics when sitting down with my wife or parents, but I'm not really interested. I like the idea of people pushing themselves to their limits physically, but the whole thing is too jingoistic for my tastes.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Personally I want to see an olympics where they are allowed to take any drugs and any prosethesis (or however you spell it).
Lets see how fast people can REALLY go.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(August 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: prosethesis (or however you spell it).

You were closer than I was. In American English the correct spelling appears to be prosthesis. It looks like I used the word for that particular branch on medicine as opposed to the term for an artificial body part.

I wonder if a strap on falls into the prosthesis category. I wonder if it depends on who is wearing it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking back some unkind words and thoughts I had about . . . vorlon13 0 316 September 21, 2017 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are You Watching the Olympics? Seraphina 25 2333 August 12, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Rio Olympics, triumph and tragedy . . . . vorlon13 8 2274 April 24, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The "Special" Olympics is dumb BrokenQuill92 36 15950 April 23, 2014 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Olympics Godscreated 91 26326 August 18, 2012 at 10:47 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Phelps vs Lochte Olympics 2012 5thHorseman 4 2150 July 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: jackman