Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is what a Denial of Service attack looks like...
This is what a Denial of Service attack looks like...
If you were browsing the forums earlier (around 17:20 UTC) then you might have noticed things got a bit slow for 5-10 minutes or so. At some points, the site wasn't loading at all. I contacted our host and very quickly they determined that there was a Denial of Service attack taking place against the server. The attack was blocked, and everything started to load quickly again.

Here is a graph of the server activity for the past 24 hours:

[Image: U7RtS.png]

As you can see, we average several hundred incoming packets per second. At around 18:20 UTC+1 the number of incoming packets jumped to 21,307. This continued for about 20 minutes before it was detected and blocked.

We're still looking into the attack and where it came from, but I'll update you all as soon as I know more. We'll also make it a priority to look into server software to detect this kind of thing faster and log it properly.

- Tiberius
RE: This is what a Denial of Service attack looks like...
It was directed on us or the server in general Tibs?

Anyway, I feel quite safe with our own internet security crypto guru as an admin Big Grin
Why and who does this shit?
(August 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm)LastPoet Wrote: It was directed on us or the server in general Tibs?

Anyway, I feel quite safe with our own internet security crypto guru as an admin Big Grin
I'm pretty sure it was the server in general, but I suspect it's due to our being on the server rather than some random attack.
(August 15, 2012 at 4:25 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Why and who does this shit?
Why? No idea.
Who? Assholes.
(August 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: who does this shit?

[Image: tumblr_levsv4EOUY1qze8b3o1_500.jpg]
(August 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Who? Assholes.

^^^ This ^^^
Huh.. I did notice and that was the first thing that came to mind.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 15, 2012 at 4:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: We're still looking into the attack and where it came from, but I'll update you all as soon as I know more.

I attacked the server. Sorry, won't happen again.
(August 15, 2012 at 4:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: We're still looking into the attack and where it came from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is
So THAT'S what was going on. Thanks for saving us, Tiberius!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Denial of Service Attack Tiberius 23 9256 November 5, 2011 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: tackattack