Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connections that imply a new religion
Connections that imply a new religion
I have seen several little signals across many different media which together imply the following ideas.
1.Humankind, if avoiding extinction, can theoretically build a means of traveling between universes.
2.Humankind, if avoiding extinction, can theoretically build a means of saving all the signals of a brain and preserve the consciousness inside said brain in another medium.
3.Time as we know it is a product of this universes laws. Though it may be preserved in another universe, time can loop back. ex. A universe which creates itself

These ideas if combined indicate the following group of beliefs.
1.An afterlife can be created by man.
2.This afterlife though created in the future can be sent to another universe and therefore be outside the bounds of our time.
1.Hence everything that ever existed in this universe would be privy to this created afterlife, not just those in the future.
3.This cannot happen unless we, or another species of sympathetic highly intelligent beings (Do we really want to count on this?), survive long enough to create a technological mastery of the universe.

This leads to the following beliefs.
1.Technological progression should be the greatest priority of human effort unless: a it puts the survival of humanity at risk, b: it involuntarily effects lives negatively (preserving life at the cost of making life worse seems really stupid to me) While this is the top priority, it is the top priority for society as a whole. ie. We still need people who want to be artists, chefs, business execs., toy makers etc. Those who belief would be more inclined to give to scientific charities.
2.Survival is key. Societies for the preservation of homo sapiens should be formed and funded.
3.Life is beautiful and worthwhile. It is worth preserving and worth saving.

This in turn leads to the following major questions, my own personal answers follow but feel free to debate.

1.Is this survival just to survive devoid of purpose or meaning?
a. In some ways yes. But life is wonderful and everyone deserves to live it to the fullest extent possible.
2.The afterlife is usually seen as a system of justice. Should this be prevailed upon an afterlife we ourselves create?
a. This is a tricky question. The methods proposed by the prominent religion in my country are abominable. Eternal torture as a method of justice is right out especially doling this out merely for believing something different. If I had to devise a system, I would suggest that wrongs create a bond between perpetrator and victim wherein the perpetrator would feel the affects of the wrong committed. This bond could be broken through forgiveness on the part of the victim or through mediation. This is only a suggestion and any system proposed would need to go through heavy debate.
3.How can we be sure this will work?
a. We can't be sure. This is all speculative. There is no insurance. If we dedicate lives to improving human life and technology and extending the species life, I see no downside. We may not produce an afterlife; we will produce a better one for our descendants.

Here are some pros and cons of this belief system

Pros:
Does not rely on a mythology which is unadaptive and ultimately a lie.
Suggests donations to scientific and life preserving charities.
Suggests preservation of human life.
Gives drive to life.
May or may not have a system of justice for wrong doers depending on a human morality not a terrible god.
Provides possible afterlife.

Cons.
Afterlife is speculative instead of sure.
If in the hands of the wrong people, this could go horribly wrong. Examples exist in popular science fiction. Clearly efforts must be maintained to keep this process open.
Things made by committee and debate are not necessarily the best options.

What do you think?
-N
RE: Connections that imply a new religion
Quote: if avoiding extinction,

Too big an "if."
(August 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm)Enn Wrote: I have seen several little signals across many different media which together imply the following ideas.
1.Humankind, if avoiding extinction, can theoretically build a means of traveling between universes.

Didn't even read past this to be honest.

Please explain what you have seen which gives you any semblance of proof, or explanation, as to how we could travel between universes.

But that's providing we skip over the fact that we don't even know if different universes exist...
You are correct Napoleon. I should have begun this differently.
Hypothesis 1: We live in a universe where in travel to others is possible.
This is very speculative right now. There are a few papers in highly theoretical wormhole physics. (Visser, Matt, 1989, Traversable wormholes from surgically modified Schwarzschild spacetimes, Nuclear Physics B
Volume 328, Issue 1, 11 December 1989, Pages 203–212; M. R. Mehdizadeh, E. Ebrahimi and N. Riazi, 2011, Wormhole deformation of the Reissner-Nordström spacetime, Volume 336, Number 2 (2011), 479-484, DOI: 10.1007/s10509-011-0794-7; etc)
Hypothesis 2: The brain is a meat computer capable of being read and consciousness can be transferred to an other medium.
I think most atheists will agree with this second hypothesis.
If these are correct, then creating an afterlife should be possible. The big one is hypothesis 1. And you're correct there's not too much in actual proof going for it.

As to the that's too big an If... I'm not going to lie its a big if. But what can I say. I'm an optimist.
Wall of text about the logically possible,with little thought or consideration given to the premises or to the pragmatic. Really silly.
I'm actually looking for people to tear this apart. Could you be more specific about what's illogical, not pragmatic, silly?
(August 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm)padraic Wrote: Wall of text about the logically possible,with little thought or consideration given to the premises or to the pragmatic. Really silly.
(August 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm)Enn Wrote: I'm actually looking for people to tear this apart. Could you be more specific about what's illogical, not pragmatic, silly?
(August 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm)padraic Wrote: Wall of text about the logically possible,with little thought or consideration given to the premises or to the pragmatic. Really silly.

Ill leave that to others,if they can be bothered,assuming you are an adult rather than an adolescent just learning critical thinking.My guess is 14-16. If that is the case,I'll have a go.
I'm an adult, but an amateur at philosophy. I'm trying to prove that given a certain set of circumstances an afterlife is logical. Hypothesis 1 from my earlier post actually has a lot of papers both for and against it. The multiverse is a current topic of controversy and my argument does hinge on it, but other than that it seems logical to me. Just wondering if there's something I missed. Thanks for your responses.
(August 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm)padraic Wrote:
(August 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm)Enn Wrote: I'm actually looking for people to tear this apart. Could you be more specific about what's illogical, not pragmatic, silly?

Ill leave that to others,if they can be bothered,assuming you are an adult rather than an adolescent just learning critical thinking.My guess is 14-16. If that is the case,I'll have a go.
I don't think you missed anything; as you said, both verge on current models that are being explored. I get the feeling you want to explore the ethics/morality of such a concept, rather than the mechanics of making it work. Would I be correct in that?
That's correct.
(August 24, 2012 at 7:58 pm)Gambit Wrote: I don't think you missed anything; as you said, both verge on current models that are being explored. I get the feeling you want to explore the ethics/morality of such a concept, rather than the mechanics of making it work. Would I be correct in that?