Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just finished Chrono Trigger!
I just finished Chrono Trigger!
Holy shit! What a great game! Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I can't believe I missed growing up with it! Very few games today capture my interests like this did recently. I don't know what it is about it. I'm not saying it's flawless or anything like that, but maaaan. So good! I know, I know. I'm over 15 years late. Okay I can't even organise the paragraph I'm so excited.

I think the soundtrack was a great asset to the game. So good! Um what else. Okay, uh. Graphically, it's pretty impressive. I never had an SNES so I'm not sure whether it's above par (above par? is that good or bad? I mean good in any case) for its usual games or not. The plot, aside from some minor flaws (the characters explaining stuff they logically couldn't have known at the time, for example) and deus ex machina moments (which kind of make sense within the game would, I guess), was nice, particularly the various subplots. I especially liked Magus' story (which is really part of the main story I guess), not to mention his great theme tune. The time travel part was really neat. While the world map isn't that big, you have 5 different eras (not including 1999AD and The End of Time) to explore it in and actions in each preceding era affect future ones so it does end up having quite a bit to look at and do. I know I already said this... but the music is good too. The music associated with Magus, Schala, Zeal and 2300AD was great. What is it with JRPGs, anime
and good music?!

[Image: sohappy.jpg]
RE: I just finished Chrono Trigger!
Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest games ever conceived. Dunno how many times I've played it since 1996, so I'll go with "not even close to enough". There are very few SNES games which look better and probably none which sound better.

If you loved it, you should try to get your hands on a copy of Xenogears for the original Playstation, which happens to by my favorite game, ever. Similar style (with very different themes), and the same guy does the soundtrack. And it is awe-inspiring.
I some how missed this game 'back in the day' . I had a SNES and was a big fan of 'Secret of Mana' and 'Illusion of Time'.
This looks likes it is of a similar vein and looks good. Maybe i'll try it , did you get some sort of pc version?
Well, there's an easy way to play a 'sort of' PC version of pretty much any game you can think of, if you don't mind the questionable legality of emulation.

It's also on the Nintendo DS, released in 2008 with a completely retooled script and some extra stuff, but in essence the same experience.
(September 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm)Ryantology Wrote: If you loved it, you should try to get your hands on a copy of Xenogears for the original Playstation, which happens to by my favorite game, ever. Similar style (with very different themes), and the same guy does the soundtrack. And it is awe-inspiring.

I have been considering playing Xenogears or at least watching a Let's Play of it. Mitsuda is a great composer. I watched a Let's Play of Chrono Cross and really enjoyed the soundtrack from that. Him and Uematsu create such wonderful, eclectic soundtracks.

(September 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm)Haydn Wrote: I some how missed this game 'back in the day' . I had a SNES and was a big fan of 'Secret of Mana' and 'Illusion of Time'.
This looks likes it is of a similar vein and looks good. Maybe i'll try it , did you get some sort of pc version?

I emulated it on PC using Snes9x. The entire game is roughly 4mb. Just amazing when you consider the mileage gotten out of it. Like Ryantology says, it's available on the Nintendo DS too. I'm pretty sure there's a bonus boss on the DS version, but I may be wrong about that.
(September 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm)Tempus Wrote: I emulated it on PC using Snes9x. The entire game is roughly 4mb. Just amazing when you consider the mileage gotten out of it. Like Ryantology says, it's available on the Nintendo DS too. I'm pretty sure there's a bonus boss on the DS version, but I may be wrong about that.

There's a bonus final boss and two very long bonus dungeons. Well-worth the price of admission.
(September 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm)Ryantology Wrote: If you loved it, you should try to get your hands on a copy of Xenogears for the original Playstation, which happens to by my favorite game, ever.

I still have that game, in the original case with the manual / cover. I've never really been able to play it. For some reason I could never get it to save a save game, PS1, PS2, Sony Mem & Mad Catz mem cards. Never had any luck with it.

I tried playing it on my cracked PSP & was able to get as far as the train before it bugged out on me.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Ok cool , i've used a ps1 emulator before so ill have scout about the internet and see if i can pick up a free copy.

That said , my girlfriend has a DS so i could just buy the game and steal that..........hmmm
I am now playing Chrono Trigger!
Man, it is such an awesome game!
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finished playing HZD Foxaèr 10 2241 May 2, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Half finished and to be patched. Something completely different 5 966 September 16, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  ME3 Ending (SPOILERS, do not click if not yet finished) Darth 10 5257 March 26, 2012 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Chuff