Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fundamentalist Trekkies....
Thumbs Down 
Fundamentalist Trekkies....
I browse Star Trek forums and sites (don't post on them anymore though) and it really amazes and saddens me the sheer number of trekkies I read who hate Abrams' new Star Trek not for the story but just for the way it looks. (I read one guy upset just over the change of the sound of the phasers!)

They expect audiences to take seriously a vision of the future created by designers who were severely limited by budgets, time and resources. Not to mention much of the technology on the old show is out of date. TOS had CRT monitors everywhere, computers with loud mechanical noises, and large hand held devices covered in buttons and knobs. The pilot episode even had a computer that printed out results on paper!

I remember also when Star Trek: Enterprise (set 100 years before TOS) came out, trekkies complained that the technology on the show looked more advanced than what was on TOS. Well, you know what? Much of reality looks more advanced than TOS now! Geez...

This whole "canon is sacred" attitude bothers me. It reminds me of fundamentalism. You can even see Trekkies engaging in Star Trek apologetics to defend the faith. I'm happily a liberal trekkie more concerned with preserving the spirit of Star Trek rather than the painted plywood and cardboard instances of it.

I would think updating a show based in the future to look more futuristic would be a good thing. Part of the appeal of Star Trek was the dazzling look of the future its artists were able to imagine. When that vision no longer excites us, I say update it.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Fundamentalist Trekkies....
Dude. The discrepancies from that film are a pandora's box. Earth to Vulcan in three (maybe as much as ten) minutes my ass. Also the fact that the Kelvin was not consistent with the ships from that era, but resembled the ships seen 40 years later....sure it was nice looking, but there was really no way to justify it being in that configuration that early in Star Trek history.

It's about consistency. When I used to go to McDs and ordered a hamburger, I got a hamburger. I'd be fucking pissed if they gave me a turkey burger.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(September 18, 2012 at 3:32 am)Polaris Wrote: Dude. The discrepancies from that film are a pandora's box. Earth to Vulcan in three (maybe as much as ten) minutes my ass. Also the fact that the Kelvin was not consistent with the ships from that era, but resembled the ships seen 40 years later....sure it was nice looking, but there was really no way to justify it being in that configuration that early in Star Trek history.

It's about consistency. When I used to go to McDs and ordered a hamburger, I got a hamburger. I'd be fucking pissed if they gave me a turkey burger.

AF.org, I give you exhibit-A.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Something like this would be more of an exhibit. Different movie, but whatever.

But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I...really don't care.
Pffft, star trek is so lame, Star Wars on the other hand is clearly the best Sci-Fi franchise ever.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(September 18, 2012 at 4:08 am)Stue Denim Wrote: Star Wars on the other hand is clearly the best Sci-Fi franchise ever.

Not any more. Not with George Lucas spastically raping it all the time. Episode 4,5 and 6 are brilliant, but the franchise just isn't good any more.
Cunt
(September 18, 2012 at 4:08 am)Stue Denim Wrote: Pffft, star trek is so lame, Star Wars on the other hand is clearly the best Sci-Fi franchise ever.

I beg to disagree,

Star Wars was fairly good until Episode One, then it quality has gone way below Star Trek.

I thought the JJ Abrams reboot of Star Trek was extremely faithful to the original series, considering that more than forty years has passed since the original series went off the air.
undefined
Episode 6 was also way below all trek but those that didn't have the original Kirk in it.

(September 18, 2012 at 3:32 am)Polaris Wrote: Dude. The discrepancies from that film are a pandora's box. Earth to Vulcan in three (maybe as much as ten) minutes my ass. Also the fact that the Kelvin was not consistent with the ships from that era, but resembled the ships seen 40 years later....sure it was nice looking, but there was really no way to justify it being in that configuration that early in Star Trek history.

Perhaps the reboot should have gone steam punk. Oh wait, it almost did. The big brewery's vats in which scotty materialized in the reboot star trek may not be steam punk, but it was the next most rediculous thing.
I never saw what was so special about Star Wars. Never cared for it. I used to like Star Trek, but around the time I hit twenty, I couldn't ignore how ridiculous and short-sighted it was in some key ways.

Seems like any group of people bonded by common interest will form fundamentalist factions if the interest stays alive long enough. I've seen tons of it in the Silent Hill fandom, which is the only one I've ever been deeply involved in.