Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Would Like To Talk to Atheists Who Aren't Assholes. Do Any of You Exist?
I Would Like To Talk to Atheists Who Aren't Assholes. Do Any of You Exist?
Well, I'm a distressed Catholic looking for answers to some very important questions, but so far the atheists who have responded to me have been rude and obnoxious.

And you are confirming my opinion, which I formed in another forum, that most atheists are assholes and really, they don't know how to debate or carry on a civilized conversation.

So really, if you guys don't get wise you are going to drive me off and I will leave with the impression that there's no point in talking to atheists.

And well, if the point of this forum is to gain converts to your cause, you guys are seriously blowing it if you don't act like normal people instead of jerks.
RE: I Would Like To Talk to Atheists Who Aren't Assholes. Do Any of You Exist?
LOL

The word you're looking for is not "assholes", it's "strident".

We're not going to blow anything if you don't like what we have to say. I don't tippytoe around the fragile emotions of people who can't handle honesty. I promise, personally, that I will always tell you, or anyone, exactly what I think. If you have a problem with that, it's your problem, not mine.

I'll carry on a discussion with you, but if I think something you've said is dumb, I'm going to say, "That was fucking dumb, and here's why..."

You can either love it, or shove it. If you get the impression that there is no point in talking to people who do not believe in deities, you shouldn't do it anymore.

Based on reading your other threads, it looks like you've had a problem with how one or two people have responded to you and that somehow translates to all of us being assholes?

I can't imagine why you might have run into problems on other forums.

Facepalm
(September 21, 2012 at 1:38 am)aleialoura Wrote: LOL

The word you're looking for is not "assholes", it's "strident".

We're not going to blow anything if you don't like what we have to say. I don't tippytoe around the fragile emotions of people who can't handle honesty. I promise, personally, that I will always tell you, or anyone, exactly what I think. If you have a problem with that, it's your problem, not mine.

I'll carry on a discussion with you, but if I think something you've said is dumb, I'm going to say, "That was fucking dumb, and here's why..."

You can either love it, or shove it. If you get the impression that there is no point in talking to people who do not believe in deities, you shouldn't do it anymore.

Well, I'm Catholic and I've been around Catholics all my life and I have some observations.

Most Catholics are nice people.

You go to a Catholic forum and everyone acts really nice.

You go to a Catholic school, and there may be a few jerks, but most people are nice.

I have not observed this about Protestants or atheists.

In my experience, Protestants are not nice at all. Some of them are downright nasty.

And atheists tend to be very rude, and not nearly as smart as they think they are.

So one thing that makes me think that Catholicism is worthwhile is that believing in it makes people act nicer to other people.

And that's worth something.

So why would I want to be an atheist and hang out with rude, unhappy people?

It doesn't make sense to me.

(September 21, 2012 at 1:41 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Based on reading your other threads, it looks like you've had a problem with how one or two people have responded to you and that somehow translates to all of us being assholes?

I can't imagine why you might have run into problems on other forums.

Facepalm

Well, prove me wrong. Put in the effort to act like a civilized person.
(September 21, 2012 at 1:31 am)Blackrook Wrote: Well, I'm a distressed Catholic looking for answers to some very important questions, but so far the atheists who have responded to me have been rude and obnoxious.

That's sad to hear. Welcome to AF, hopefully you'll enjoy your stay here.

Quote:And you are confirming my opinion, which I formed in another forum, that most atheists are assholes and really, they don't know how to debate or carry on a civilized conversation.

And I hope you can confirm that not all Roman Catholics are child molesters. Actually, no, I know already that it's a crude generalization, you could also learn that the 'obnoxious asshole' -label does not equal 'atheist'.

Quote:So really, if you guys don't get wise you are going to drive me off and I will leave with the impression that there's no point in talking to atheists.

Going in with that attitude makes it a lot harder for anyone to welcome you. You obviously came here with something in mind, don't let a few rotten apples put you down. And don't think of it as 'no point in talking to atheists', make it people.

Quote:And well, if the point of this forum is to gain converts to your cause[/b]

No, converting people is part of your religion. This is a forum made for it's members, a living room on the internet for discussion and socialization., a place for non-believers and believers alike.

[quote]you guys are seriously blowing it if you don't act like normal people instead of jerks.

Define normal. Your attitude truly saddens me, that you instantly assume that everyone you'll meet here is a jerk. Give it time, participate in discussions, start your own threads and relax. It's quite fun here. But behave badly and you'll get the treatment you'll deserve. Happy posting!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 21, 2012 at 1:49 am)Kayenneh Wrote: [quote='Blackrook' pid='339527' dateline='1348205512']
Well, I'm a distressed Catholic looking for answers to some very important questions, but so far the atheists who have responded to me have been rude and obnoxious.

That's sad to here. Welcome to AF, hopefully you'll enjoy your stay here.

Quote:And you are confirming my opinion, which I formed in another forum, that most atheists are assholes and really, they don't know how to debate or carry on a civilized conversation.

And I hope you can confirm that not all Roman Catholics are child molesters. Actually, no, I know already that it's a crude generalization, you could also learn that the 'obnoxious asshole' -label does not equal 'atheist'.

Quote:So really, if you guys don't get wise you are going to drive me off and I will leave with the impression that there's no point in talking to atheists.

Going in with that attitude makes it a lot harder for anyone to welcome you. You obviously came here with something in mind, don't let a few rotten apples put you down. And don't think of it as 'no point in talking to atheists', make it people.

Quote:And well, if the point of this forum is to gain converts to your cause[/b]

No, converting people is part of your religion. This is a forum made for it's members, a living room on the internet for discussion and socialization., a place for non-believers and believers alike.

[quote]you guys are seriously blowing it if you don't act like normal people instead of jerks.

Define normal. Your attitude truly saddens me, that you instantly assume that everyone you'll meet here is a jerk. Give it time, participate in discussions, start your own threads and relax. It's quite fun here. But behave badly and you'll get the treatment you'll deserve. Happy posting!
[/quote]

The reason I assume all atheists are jerks is because that is my experience from the forum I usually post to.

If that is not true, you have the opportunity to prove it.

But really, your crack about all Catholics being child molesters kind of proves I'm right about you. That was a cheap shot and really uncalled for.
(September 21, 2012 at 1:43 am)Blackrook Wrote: Well, prove me wrong. Put in the effort to act like a civilized person.

Excuse me? Was there something un-civil about what I've said to you?
Most atheists are far from being assholes. You just have to meet them offline. The internet favors anonymity, which creates an opportunity for certain people to express their immaturity,

But I sense you are a troll because you created this thread much too quickly and created a thread stating that you hope you don't get banned. That's a red flag.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I was raised as a catholic, and while a lot of them are nice, I've known some great big catholic pricks. I've known some atheist pricks, and protestant pricks, some muslim pricks, jewish pricks. Some people are nice, and some people are pricks. That's life.

You don't want answers.

You want someone to tell you that being a catholic is alright.

It isn't....although it isn't much worse than any other religious crap that has been cooked up by humanity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10452 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 2754 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1029 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1976 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4468 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3416 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5773 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3195 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any ? Rahn127 1167 93417 January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12151 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack