Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:52 pm

Poll: Too many political ads
This poll is closed.
Yay
66.67%
6 66.67%
Nay
33.33%
3 33.33%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Mericans, how often....
'Mericans, how often....
do you see political ads on your tv stations? Is it as regular as the impression I get(very). Or is it not?
RE: 'Mericans, how often....
They're played here quite often, mostly for state elections. The thing about them is not so much the frequency with which they're played, but the lack of genuine information in them. In every ad you can see how the information portrayed could be taken entirely out of context, so I don't trust any of them.

There's a particularly bad one about some proposals on the ballot here in Michigan where an old couple is berating the proposals, but they never actually say what they are. They simply say stupid shit like, "Every time I vote for these proposals I regret it."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I think it's mainly battleground states and local elections where we see most of the attack ads. I'm in Maryland, I really haven't noticed any attack ads, but we generally go blue on election night. When I visited Florida this summer there were a lot of attack ads there, including presidential ones... They were awful, both sides. Quotes taken out of context, people just complaining or stating opinions not based anywhere in fact, etc.
Not very many at all. I live in a solidly blue state. Pretty much all of the political ads are for local races, and there aren't really that many of those to speak of. It may have to do with the channels that I tend to watch - I don't watch many local channels.
I get almost none. However, states don't get much more red than Texas. If I lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida or Michigan, I'd probably be getting them left and right.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Not only the television ads (I live in San Diego and these attacks ads drove me away from the Democrat Party....yes I chose my party affiliation based on the maturity of the candidates), but the robo-calls this time of year and now Obama has encroached on Youtube...I'm sorry, but I don't go to Youtube to watch boring, hour-long speeches where someone has not gotten the clue to stop lying to us.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Not only is it "too many" the bombardment goes on for far too long. Here in Dumbfuckistan ( a/k/a Arizona ) we mainly get primary election ads by republicunts each of whom is trying to convince the voters that he is a bigger fascist than the other fascist.
I was watching some anime online a few days ago and an American political ad played before it... it was one of the cheesiest things I have ever seen.

I don't know why it played to me all the way over here... it was also on a website that usually doesn't have ads before their videos. Twas very strange.
Cunt
Given the amount of money spent on ads, they do not appear to get much air time.
(September 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Not only is it "too many" the bombardment goes on for far too long. Here in Dumbfuckistan ( a/k/a Arizona ) we mainly get primary election ads by republicunts each of whom is trying to convince the voters that he is a bigger fascist than the other fascist.

Texas is pretty much the same way. So was Oklahoma, where I lived before October 2009. It was interesting seeing the change in political ads from the 2004 election to the 2008 election. In 2004, every conservative out there was preaching how they side with Bush all the fucking time. In 2008, you'd get the same guys running for re-election; they don't mention Bush or how they supported him, but they're telling us how they supported this or that policy choice..... which happens to be a policy choice Bush agreed with more often than not. How are these people supposed run away from the Bush ship but still embrace his policy choices?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama