Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Will: Fact or Fiction
Free Will: Fact or Fiction
Okay my atheist friends. Do you fellas (and ladies) believe that humans pocess free will? Why or why not?

I've heard atheists have different perspectives on this and thought this might be an interesting discussion.
RE: Free Will: Fact or Fiction
That depends on what you mean by "free will".
Cunt
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMvz9LeQidwwRSKQaQywB...9GxkCJZNBB] Free of what, paper-clips?
Define free will for us.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!
Merriam-Webster's second definition:

2 : freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention
Then of course I believe people have free will. A god who steers the will of his subjects (and leading some of them away from him) would be nonsense to me.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!
Ech, you've already brought determinism into it. There's no way to know for sure that our decisions are not determined by prior conditions. Free will is what we call our perception of our ability to choose between alternatives. We at least have that.
There is a variety of factors that influence our will. But I would say despite that, at the end, we have enough struggle room, for there to be free-will.

But our will isn't completely free nor is it completely a slave to factors.

I feel the same is true of beliefs. I don't think we easily FREELY chose our beliefs, but that we struggle between beliefs and there is a free-will in that. We don't always accept the truth even if it is proven to us. Nor do we always reject baseless belief. And we sometimes chose to critically think and sometimes we chose not to. We give into bias or we struggle against it.
(September 25, 2012 at 1:58 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: Merriam-Webster's second definition:

2 : freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

If by "prior causes" you include the chemical reactions in our brain, no, we don't have free will. If anything, we're slaves to those chemical reactions.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Lets look at this from a purely physical perspective;
You're heavily influenced by your genetics and your environment, both of which you have no control over. Every action you make is a reaction to somebody or something around you.
In what way does this allow for this thing people call "free will"?

I am a product of my experience and my genetics, as are my actions. This may define me as any number of things but I have little choice as to what the result is as I am ultimately confined to the limitations imposed on me and the bias I have been subjected to.
My actions are a product of who I am not what I will.
In my humble opinion that makes them more significant.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 13207 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Explaining the fact that we exist OttoVonKerpen 84 11139 November 5, 2016 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  When it becomes a fact? _Velvet_ 14 2707 October 10, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fact, every single german nazi was a christian Deepthunk 249 61384 August 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Best use of hymns and bible quotes in fiction? Lemonvariable72 14 3402 November 21, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5921 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  My very first fiction novel officially debuts tomorrow! Mudhammam 18 6331 January 8, 2015 at 2:01 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The more troubling fact is not that this may be genuine, but that it's hard to doubt Mudhammam 16 5038 August 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  36 Arguments for the existence of god: a work of fiction AtheistChurch 1 1926 March 9, 2010 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: fr0d0