Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensory Perception
Sensory Perception
Had my first binge in what seems like forever. As an ex-alcoholic you can never be too careful but yesh. I was listening to stairway to heaven while on this binge and it got me wondering about sensory perception.
If my thoughts and my senses can be distorted by something as small as a few drinks then it makes me wonder about how much we can rely on our senses. I know I know, easily countered but still a topic of interest.
So I thought I'd start a thread on it. So, lets cover the arguments and points for and against using the senses to discern reality.
I think it will make for an entertaining topic, don't you?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
RE: Sensory Perception
(September 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: ...So, lets cover the arguments and points for and against using the senses to discern reality. ...

Um, is there any other way to know anything about reality outside of your senses?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Do you go to meetings?
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
(September 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(September 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: ...So, lets cover the arguments and points for and against using the senses to discern reality. ...

Um, is there any other way to know anything about reality outside of your senses?

Good point. Already considered that and I agree, there is none and we should rely on what we do have as opposed to assuming it too faulty to be of use.
However there are many valid arguments undermining the reliance upon them. For example the argument from illusion, argument from perspectival variation, argument from fallibility. I mean theres a whole list. I just wanted to hear peoples take on them as well as their counter points to them.

(September 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm)Tino Wrote: Do you go to meetings?

First drink in about three months. Its a little treat I give myself now and then. Nothing to be concerned about.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
If you really want to learn how fallible your senses are, take some LSD.

Being color blind has always been a constant reminder for me of how fallible my senses are.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If you really want to learn how fallible your senses are, take some LSD.

Being color blind has always been a constant reminder for me of how fallible my senses are.

I have very much wanted to but considering my personality I'd likely become psychotic and turn into The Joker.
Mushrooms? Now thats something I'd consider. Its basically a very weak variation of LSD.
- Abdul Alhazred.
(September 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Being color blind has always been a constant reminder for me of how fallible my senses are.

Yeah, I have grown up from a young age knowing I can't trust what I see. Colour blindness has always been something about me that came up often... probably because I showed such an interest in art. I would always have to get other kids to pick my colours in primary school... but that always ends in them trying to get you to guess the colours. Tongue
Cunt
(September 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Being color blind has always been a constant reminder for me of how fallible my senses are.

what kind? no colors at all or only specific colors?

i`m red-green blind, but i only noticed when applying for civil service and therefor having to undergo a medical examination at the age of 19.

and since i haven`t noticed until i was 19 - lived a normal life up to then and after that - I dont think my senses made me perceve reality in a wrong way.
It must be like living in film noir novel. If I saw in black and white I'd wear a trench coat and solve murders.
- Abdul Alhazred.
(September 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Mushrooms? Now thats something I'd consider. Its basically a very weak variation of LSD.

It depends on how many you take, who grew them, and the way they were been prepared. I used to grow them and have taken LSD a few times. The dosages vary but the effects can be similar given the appropriate dosage. If you do take either, make sure to are knowledgable about the dose. In the case of LSD just start with one "hit". In the case of mushrooms, well, just take like two if you are worried about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about meaning and perception of reality from a theist. amkerman 187 74438 January 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah