Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B.C. And A.D.
B.C. And A.D.
1.Is this accepted worldwide?
2.Why is it accepted?
RE: B.C. And A.D.
1. No, many countries use different calenders.
2. Well since it's not, I guess this question is irrelevant.

Here is an interesting article about the different calenders the Islamic world has used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar
I don't know about "world wide" ..... North Korea probably dates its years from Kim Il-sung's first erection... but it is pretty common.

As to why? Probably a legacy of European colonialism.
1. What the good capn said.
2. Tradition? It's worth noting that, from the Western perspective, the days of the week, as well as many months, are derived from the names of various gods/goddesses or pre-xtian festivals. From tradition comes convention.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 1, 2012 at 11:41 am)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know about "world wide" ..... North Korea probably dates its years from Kim Il-sung's first erection... but it is pretty common.

As to why? Probably a legacy of European colonialism.

Got me thinking about it, so I looked it up.

"There are seven calendars in regular current use around the world. They are the Gregorian, the Chinese, the Hebrew, the Islamic, the Persian, the Ethiopian and the Balinese Pawukon."

Although the Gregoian is the international business Calendar, a lot of the world locally uses other Calendars. We are so ethnocentric in the west, we just assume everyone is using our Calendar.

http://calendopedia.com/modern.htm
I choked on my sandwich Min, thanks.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I think the U.K. way is now BCE and CE. (Before Common Era and Common Era) At least that's what I was taught.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era
That's the format I tend to go with, though sometimes I have to explain what the terms mean and what they replace, depending on my interlocutor. Similar to what you did, in fact.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I choked on my sandwich Min, thanks.

My pleasure, dear.
i think in Saudi Arabia and in Iran; the year 0 is marked by Mohamed`s entry into Mekka