Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science tidbits .....
Science tidbits .....
From Face Book and beyond.

Yeah I know THE major concern for atheists isn't just finding anomalies within various religious texts and arguing about them.

Let's face it people...that line of discussion has been done to death and I personally will leave it to younger fresher minds to continue exposing the fallacies of religion.

In the interim I would like to post for your perusal tidbits that I come across on the web and facebook (a more viewed site for me...don't ask Undecided )

So todays helping of optimism is...

[Image: 150383_415104288554749_467368703_n.jpg]

http://rt.com/news/australia-ska-telesco...rable-725/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space...verse.html

Quote:MIGHTY AUSTRALIAN TELESCOPE READY TO SCAN THE COSMOS

In the heart of an Australian desert the AUS$152 million telescope will scan the universe for traces of its beginning, the formation and development of stars and galaxies, explore dark matter, test Einstein's theory of relativity and the telescope will "listen" to radio waves from the cosmos that might give astronomers insights into the beginnings of the universe.

Source: http://txchnologist.com/post/32463368168...gin-fusion
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/1...arp-drive/

[Image: 523726_415195338545644_2051242973_n.jpg]

Quote:DILITHIUM ENGINES

Let's imagine that commercial space flight is a real thing and that you had just booked your holidays to Mars. Depending on the orbit of Mars, it would currently take 6-8 months on current technology to make the trip - that's over a year's worth of holidays spent in one fell swoop! Fortunately for you, that trip could be cut in half thanks to recent developments.

[Image: 554494_353123534779067_295771419_n.jpg]

With fuckin Vegemite!! FFS!

http://phys.org/news/2012-10-australia-s...h.html#jCp

Quote:Australia Scientists Tackle Reef-Killing Starfish

October 8, 2012 by Martin Parry
An Australian research team said Monday they have found an effective way to kill the destructive crown-of-thorns starfish, which is devastating coral reefs across the Pacific and Indian oceans.

The discovery by James Cook University's Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies in Queensland state comes after a study showed the Great Barrier Reef had lost more than half its coral cover in the past 27 years.

Outbreaks of the large, poisonous and spiny starfish, which feast on coral polyps, was linked to 42 percent of the destruction. Researchers said they have developed a culture that infects the starfish with bacteria and can destroy them in as little as 24 hours.

The bacteria also spreads to other starfish that come near or into contact with an infected individual.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Science tidbits .....
I hear that last report and think of cane toads, but I have to say this thread is what it is all about thank you for starting it.

I liked this story
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19848109
How anybody can delude themselves with the amount of scientific facts about a universe so huge, into dwelling on superstition is astounding.

I think about freaky science facts, like gravity affecting time. The power of gravity in a black hole, or the size of a red giant, and that gives me a sense of awe without the bullshit fantasy.

I too get tired of arguing text of any comic book. Our species was around long before our modern myths and the universe will be around long after our species goes extinct and there will be no record of our existence. We are a blip, a mere flicker. Life is what it is and both its positive and negitives need no narcissistic delusions to explain it.

Science continues to kill superstition and the fans of such hate the curtain being pulled back exposing their mortal Oz which is nothing more than their own imaginations.
Quote:Across the Universe; from quarks to quasars
'bout one turn o' yer hourglass ago
If you live in a first or even second world country, you probably have an abundance of fresh water at your disposal. We take that for granted compared to the third world countries where fresh water is a luxury that is only afforded to the most well off portion of the population. Even comparing a first world country to a third world country, the Earth seems like a drop of water in the Sahara that is our solar system. It's something that is immeasurably imperative to our survival, yet Earth is the only verified place in our galactic neighborhood that holds oceans of liquid water on the surface of an extraterrestrial body. When looking for candidates of Earth 2.0, the Goldilocks region of a star where liquid water could exist on the planet without freezing or evaporating is at the top of our list of requirements.

Further reading....

"Herschel Finds Oceans of Water in Disk of Nearby Star:"
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2011-327

"Star-System TW Hydrae --"Harbors Several Thousand Earth-Sized Oceans:"
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/201...rvard.edu/

On Black Holes....

Full article: http://luxperci.com/super-massive-black-holes/

[Image: 522432_360964573989958_970559767_n.jpg]

Quote:Fuck I love Nature
Day o' the Sun
A coloured honeycomb from a beehive is seen in Ribeauville near Colmar Eastern France, on Oct. 5. Bees at a cluster of bee hives in northeastern France have been producing honey in mysterious shades of blue and green, alarming their keepers who now believe residue from containers of M&M's candy processed at a nearby biogas plant is the cause. Since August, beekeepers around the town of Ribeauville in the region of Alsace have seen bees returning to their hives carrying unidentified colourful substances that have turned their honey unnatural shades.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/...orful-turn

And just for fun

[Image: 401417_386141668123477_1298577308_n.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:How anybody can delude themselves with the amount of scientific facts about a universe so huge, into dwelling on superstition is astounding.

Is the answer "jesus?"
(October 8, 2012 at 6:02 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
Quote:MIGHTY AUSTRALIAN TELESCOPE READY TO SCAN THE COSMOS

I wonder why this isn't part of the Event Horizon Telescope Project? I know some of the collaborators on that project are participating in the SKA project.

Thinking
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(October 9, 2012 at 12:08 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(October 8, 2012 at 6:02 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:

I wonder why this isn't part of the Event Horizon Telescope Project? I know some of the collaborators on that project are participating in the SKA project.

Thinking

OooooH! I hadn't heard of the Event Horizon Telescope before! Do you think it is all related?? I know that here in Western Australia everyone is congratulating themselves but really we are just a small part as there is also Africa and New Zealand involved.

Thanks Pappy! Big Grin
(October 9, 2012 at 12:14 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: OooooH! I hadn't heard of the Event Horizon Telescope before! Do you think it is all related?? I know that here in Western Australia everyone is congratulating themselves but really we are just a small part as there is also Africa and New Zealand involved.

I don't think so. I did a little poking around and your new array doesn't seem to be involved. It could be because the Event Horizon project is trying to capture an event coming up sometime in the near future (actually 27,000 years ago) with the Milky Way's super massive black hole and they didn't think it would be ready in time. I don't know though.

My one and only trip down under was a working trip to the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex. It's older but impressive if you're into that kind of stuff.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Quote:the Milky Way's super massive black hole

I thought that was G-C?
(October 9, 2012 at 12:32 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:the Milky Way's super massive black hole

I thought that was G-C?

ROFLOL I love you Min! Heart

(October 9, 2012 at 12:28 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(October 9, 2012 at 12:14 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: OooooH! I hadn't heard of the Event Horizon Telescope before! Do you think it is all related?? I know that here in Western Australia everyone is congratulating themselves but really we are just a small part as there is also Africa and New Zealand involved.

I don't think so. I did a little poking around and your new array doesn't seem to be involved. It could be because the Event Horizon project is trying to capture an event coming up sometime in the near future (actually 27,000 years ago) with the Milky Way's super massive black hole and they didn't think it would be ready in time. I don't know though.

My one and only trip down under was a working trip to the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex. It's older but impressive if you're into that kind of stuff.

Brindabella?? That is old!

Still, interesting that so much is being used to expand our understanding of the universe ... bookmarked the website you offered and will look at it in depth later. Fascinating stuff and much more interesting than who is burning what effigy or flag!!

So just when are you coming "Down-Under" again Pappy?? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool Science-y Tidbits BrianSoddingBoru4 32 1862 May 30, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7674 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4263 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe