Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newsweek "Heaven Is Real"
Newsweek "Heaven Is Real"
Could someone post the link in this thread I am having problems with XP now that have reloaded it.

But anyway, I saw this on Morning Joe on MSNBC. The summery they gave was a "doctor's" account of his own NDE experiance.

I get so fucking tired of this bullshit argument. According to the summery on the show this guy discribes his brain injury, and the intense dark and light and "comfort of love" he felt before he "came back".

SO THE FUCK WHAT!

When your brain shuts down it is like a filing cabinite dumping all your neurons and chemicals at once which produce that intense dark light and emotions. It is like turning over a full trash can.

Now here is why this is a BULLSHIT arugment.

He would not have this same experiance if someone blew his head off with a shotgun. While the brain can be injured and still function, it cannot be dismantalted and still work.

What was really going on is the same bullshit all humans do when they dont understand something. He is merely missinterpreting "feelings" with natural bioloty.

There is no heaven or hell, there are just fucking idiots who cling to superstition. I especially hate it when doctors who know better but dont care try to pull this shit.

If conciousness could exist without a brain then it would be like removing an injured arm and still having the rest of your body to use. If a brain is not required for conciousness then we could amputate our heads completely and still function.

NDE are nothing but the same missinterpretation as sticking your hand blindly in the bowl of covered olives at holloween after someone has told you they are eyeballs.
RE: Newsweek "Heaven Is Real"
It is indeed true that anecdotes cannot be accepted as valid proof for NDE's.
Furthermore, scientists have set up experiments to investigate NDE's. Here is an example:

"The NDE is an important phenomenon that can safely be reproduced by ketamine, and the glutamate theory of the NDE can thus be investigated by experiment. Recent advances in neuroscience strongly suggest a common origin for ketamine experiences and the NDE in events occurring at glutamatergic synapses, mediated by the NMDA (PGP) receptor. This theory represents an extension of previous hypotheses, and incorporates most of the neurobiological and psychological theories that have been put forward. It links many of these ideas, such as hypoxia, peptide release, temporal lobe epilepsy, regression in the service of the ego, reactivation of birth memories, and sensory deprivation, rather than being an alternative to them. Most of the planks on which this hypothesis is built are strongly supported by experimental evidence implicating glutamate and the NMDA receptor as unifying entities in the processes leading to an NDE."
(Jansen, K.L.R. (1997), "The Ketamine Model of the Near-Death Experience: A Central Role for the N-Methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor", Journal of Near-Death Studies 16(1), p. 20)
I am no religious believer of God but if you think it's impossible for there to be a creator of Heaven whether He/She's regulating our world or not is stupid and presumptuous. Now I have had spiritual experiences and was brought up Christian, never-the-less, few of my family have admitted to experiencing the paranormal.

Besides, why are you so offended by someone's experience if you are convinced that there is no Heaven? There are much better worldly issues to confront than this but you think that gaining a smiley face and "Yeah bro. Lol, that person is sooo retarded" as a compliment will get you anywhere? This is called athiestforums.org for a reason. Geez.

BTW, I am fully prepared for all flames and insults. I have been looking for a place for debate but have yet to find a legitimate home site for such topics. Bring it on, I say! Smile
Quote:this guy discribes his brain injury

Apparently it was a severe and permanent injury, too.

When you necropost, you make baby Jesus cry.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Good. Fuck him.
Fighter Pilots have a similar experience when they do G-Force testing and black out.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(May 9, 2013 at 12:17 am)apophenia Wrote:

When you necropost, you make baby Jesus cry.

The mods, too.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  proof of Heaven Manowar 20 8119 November 16, 2012 at 2:58 am
Last Post: Angrboda