Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meshing Past and Present
Meshing Past and Present
This is, quite honestly, one half of the reason I love photography. The other half has to do with revealing worlds that many people don't stop to appreciate. This half is about the haunting ability to capture a time and place in a way you can't record in any other fashion.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blog...war-france

Quote:As a historical consultant, Jo Teeuwisse finds photos from the past and learns about their context. As it says on her website, "For years we have been researching daily life before and during the Second World war, not just gathering information but also interviewing eye witnesses and recreating certain aspects of history to gain a unique insight into that era."

Back in 2010, we featured her incredible photos of present day Amsterdam merged with its past. When we interviewed her, we found out that she started the process of photoshopping two eras together back in 2007, when she discovered 300 old negatives at a flea market.

Throughout the past few years, Teeuwisse has continued to combine the past and the present, and recently, she put out more haunting photos that show soldiers at war in France. Disturbing as some of them might be, like the one above titled Left Behind, the images are meant to give us a deeper understanding of our history. As Teeuwisse once told us, "I knew what happened there, but knowing the exact spot of some detail will etch it into your visual memory."

[Image: ghostsofwar00.jpg]

[Image: ghostsofwar01.jpg]

[Image: ghostsofwar04.jpg]

[Image: ghostsofwar07.jpg]
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Meshing Past and Present
Thanks for posting, I realy like these.
I was in Prag 2 years ago an tried to find the place where Heinz Hosch made this picture during the Prag Spring in 1968.

[Image: 11-block030.jpg]

But I ended up in the bars, visited the Cafe Slavia were a lot of famous tschek writers (including Vazlav Havel) use to go, went to the Kafka museum and saw a gig in the club matrix.
It would be nice to visit some of the places my grandfather went in WWII - if I manage to get better scans out of the photos I absconded, I'll post them.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Wow... Those are amazing. What really struck me when I visited Europe was standing somewhere and appreciating how much history had happened in that spot, how many people had been a part of that... Thanks for sharing!
(October 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: It would be nice to visit some of the places my grandfather went in WWII - if I manage to get better scans out of the photos I absconded, I'll post them.

I once asked my parents if they wanted to go to Italy for their 50th anniversary. My mom wouldn't fly and my dad said "I was there during the war."

I did suggest that this time we wouldn't make him wade ashore and the only Germans he would see would be carrying cameras but he was having none of it.

They ended up in Atlantic City.
(October 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(October 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: It would be nice to visit some of the places my grandfather went in WWII - if I manage to get better scans out of the photos I absconded, I'll post them.

I once asked my parents if they wanted to go to Italy for their 50th anniversary. My mom wouldn't fly and my dad said "I was there during the war."

I did suggest that this time we wouldn't make him wade ashore and the only Germans he would see would be carrying cameras but he was having none of it.

They ended up in Atlantic City.

I had a very bad experience when I visited Atlantic City, I hope they had a better trip...
(October 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm)festive1 Wrote: Wow... Those are amazing. What really struck me when I visited Europe was standing somewhere and appreciating how much history had happened in that spot, how many people had been a part of that... Thanks for sharing!

where did you go? did you take interrail?
(October 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote:
(October 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm)festive1 Wrote: Wow... Those are amazing. What really struck me when I visited Europe was standing somewhere and appreciating how much history had happened in that spot, how many people had been a part of that... Thanks for sharing!

where did you go? did you take interrail?

We went to Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Zurich, and back to Paris where we flew out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It was my first trip out of the US. Berlin was my favorite city, Prague was my least favorite. We took trains for all the European travel. It was really a great trip, exhausting (we were only there for 2 weeks), but a great trip.
(October 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm)festive1 Wrote: We went to Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Zurich, and back to Paris where we flew out. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It was my first trip out of the US. Berlin was my favorite city, Prague was my least favorite. We took trains for all the European travel. It was really a great trip, exhausting (we were only there for 2 weeks), but a great trip.

was it the "united" post 1990 Berlin? because it only became awsome after that. A lot of former GDR citizens simply left their houses and went to the west or to anywere else in the world, these houses were then bought by artists and others wich is why Berlin is currently such a amazing cultural hotspot.

I have been taking interrail trips since I was 17 and in total took 3. I think you probably took the 2 weeks ticket for a certain set of countries.
I remember how I always use to save up my money and then bought the "all of europe" ticket wich lasts a month and costs 400 euros.

You didn`t like Prag? I love Prag. I generaly love eastern europe.
Currently what has happened in Berlin during the past 20 years is happening in Poland and the Tschek Republic, Prag, Brün, Gdanzk, Krakau and Warsau are flurishing and building up a cultural diversity no one would have thought a eastern european country would ever achieve.
The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: was it the "united" post 1990 Berlin? because it only became awsome after that. A lot of former GDR citizens simply left their houses and went to the west or to anywere else in the world, these houses were then bought by artists and others wich is why Berlin is currently such a amazing cultural hotspot.

I have been taking interrail trips since I was 17 and in total took 3. I think you probably took the 2 weeks ticket for a certain set of countries.
I remember how I always use to save up my money and then bought the "all of europe" ticket wich lasts a month and costs 400 euros.

You didn`t like Prag? I love Prag. I generaly love eastern europe.
Currently what has happened in Berlin during the past 20 years is happening in Poland and the Tschek Republic, Prag, Brün, Gdanzk, Krakau and Warsau are flurishing and building up a cultural diversity no one would have thought a eastern european country would ever achieve.

I left out Vienna... which we visited between Berlin and Prague.
I went in 2002, so Berlin was unified. The guy at the hotel we stayed at schooled me one morning over breakfast. They had a kind of corny thing of putting your national flag on your table during breakfast, as this was during the build up to the US's invasion of Iraq, I swapped our flag for a left over Canadian one. The guy kind of went off on me about having national pride, I tried to explain that it wasn't lack of national pride, rather it was embarrassment about what our country was doing. He shrugged it off, and made the point that even if what the leaders are doing was embarrassing, one should still have a sense of national pride. I can respect that.
Prague... we didn't really leave the city center and people were rude. We got a lot of the, "Fucking tourists" vibe. But it was gorgeous. Best thing about Prague was we visited before they went on the Euro, so a liter of beer was about $0.75. Lots of drinking ensued.
The train was the way to go. We did an overnight sleeper car between Prague and Zurich which was interesting. We don't really have a lot of rail travel here in the states.
I can't wait for our boys to get a wee bit older... There's too many places I want to visit and I worry there won't be enough time/money!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tendency to the past? Macoleco 9 697 May 20, 2022 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A Blast from the past. Plus bad spelling. Brian37 24 965 December 2, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  An 80s song that could apply to the past 4 years. Brian37 39 2175 November 25, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Duty