Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Badger cull
Badger cull
In the UK, the badger cull is due to start this Autumn (to reduce/prevent the spread of Tuberculosis in cattle) despite the massive weight of evidence that its a complete waste of time and money. This infuriates me on so many different levels but heres a few points:

1. Cattle in Scotland are free of TB. They dont cull Badgers.
2. TB is rife in the Isle of Man. They dont have any badgers on the Isle of Man.
3. TB exists in England and Wales even where there are no Badgers.
4. It is unclear whether this is even legal as badgers are a protected species.
5. There are TB vaccinces available for both cattle and badgers.
6. The badger vaccine is already in use in scientific test areas, however this has had no impact on the rates of TB in cattle thus it appears they dont cause it.
7. The costs of the cull are not financially viable; it will cost far more than it saves and this money could be better invested in the vaccine.
8. Many cattle farmers would actually prefer the vaccine as this will help to eliminate the disease.

All in all, there is no evidence to support a Badger cull. The answer to this issue seems to be to challenge the EU and get the rules changed to allow cattle vaccine.

I could go on an on, but if you agree, there's a petition you can sign.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/badge...n#petition

p.s. ZenBadger: are you worried at all?
Sum ergo sum
RE: Badger cull
Badgers are an easy answer, I think the TB in cattle problem in the UK has a lot to do with farming practice, but the problem is that none of the vested interests will countenance research into this some of the probable causes of susceptibility, because it might affect profits. I am not talking about the farmers themselves, but the companies that supply them, and the way cattle are now used to be economically productive.

Good on you Ben for putting the petition up
Our badgers here in Scotland are too busy taking their heroin to care.
Cunt
(October 19, 2012 at 5:37 am)Ben Davis Wrote: p.s. ZenBadger: are you worried at all?

Not worried as I'm on the other sie of the planet, but I am infuriated by this.

It is pointless and cruel.

Some years ago I saw a video of badger baiting. I loath and despise cunts who torment animals for fun.

Dammit, the petition won't accept Australian postcodes. Angry
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.