Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terror Australis
Terror Australis
Good Grief!! As if our Northern Hemispherian cuzzies didn't know this already!

Terror Australis: Snakes, sharks, fires and other death traps

[Image: 910540-dangers-of-summer-map.jpg]

Quote:THEY are fast, clever and dangerous. And this summer - they're going to be everywhere.

It's officially snake season. And all around the country, from Darwin to the Blue Mountains, a snake or snakes will be slithering to a patch of grass near you.

Experts say the warmer months, and for some species the coinciding wet season, lures thousands of snakes out of hiding so they can hunt, breed and warm up their cold blood.

And it's not just in bush paddocks and grassy outback trails you'll have to be alert; some of the deadliest snakes can be found in suburban backyards.

[Scroll down for more dangers of summer: Sharks - Jellyfish - Fires - Mosquitoes]

"We get calls in Surry Hills," snake catcher Yo Matthews told news.com.au. For those outside of Sydney - Surry Hills is a heavily populated urban neighbourhood about 1km from the CBD.

The Eastern Brown snake is one of the deadliest and most common seen during summer as well as breeds like the red-bellied black snake and the odd tiger and carpet snakes.

Please read the comments Link

And people wonder why Aussies are just so "laid back"? We've been "terrorised" by our environment since childhood, that's why. Tongue

In other news

Link

Ten other useful tips for Poms moving to Perth

[Image: poms-620x349.jpg]

It's fine to be obsessed with the weather and the beer is great but just don't ask anybody if they're "all right", says Corey Stephenson. Photo: TONY ASHBY
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Terror Australis
Worse, it's so hot that people still throw themselves into the ocean with all those sharks, jellyfish, snakes (sea-snakes), venomous sea-shells, venomous octopi and venomous rocks (ok, its a but ugly fish that looks like a rock).
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Good that I don't regularly swim. I only swim in lakes.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
At least there are lots of interesting ways to commit suicide.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Errr Dodgy don't go into the lakes either mehmet, or the rivers. You don't know what is living in there.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gucd0IbRn5c

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

"Candy-gram."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Texas is not much better. I was raised in Ohio and after the service I moved to Texas and went fishing. I caught a couple of trout on my first cast and when I went to take them of the hook ... They had TEETH. WTF.

So, trout with teeth, poisonous snakes, black widows, brown recluse, scorpions and a lot of the plants have teeth too. Mesquite has thorns that go through tires, century plant have leaves that will stick in you or scratch you.

I forgot to mention alligator gar. and of course we have our sharks, stingrays, man-o-war and jellyfish.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Yep IATIA. And the religious would have us believe that this world was made "Just for our pleasure".

Stay safe there in Texas mate.
[Image: n581024499_1420194_3328386.jpg]