Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My reasons for abandoned Christianity
My reasons for abandoned Christianity
I've always had questions on my religion which was Christianity. I am putting that behind me. Only my boyfriend knows that I'm doing it. For now I'm going to let my dad think what he wants. He thinks I'm still a Christian. I haven't told him.

I have my reasons for abandoning my religion. 1). I have a hard time believing there is a God. I have looked at my past and noticed that he never really answered my prayers. I've found all the stuff I was praying for on my own. Like a job, a boyfriend, friends, that kind of thing. 2). I been debunking sermons whenever I go to work. This one is hard to explain. Like I don't believe in repenting for saying things and doing stupid things. I mean come on! 3). I don't believe in God's "healing power". I've had acid reflux for a long time. Whenever I would get indigestion, dad would pray for me. The only reason I felt better was because I took medication and got my mind off it. I don't believe that God ever took away the stomach ache. I would also get angry at God for even healing me when I had a cold. I just wanted the cold to take its course, like it always does, and then it'll be over. I don't need prayer for healing. Just let the body heal itself. I guess I debunk things with facts. 4). Lately I've been uncomfortable when my dad talks about God. He believes that everything happens through God. That makes me angry. Not everything is God! He think God prompted me to ask my boyfriend to hang out. I don't think so! I wanted to ask my boyfriend to hang out. That was when I first met him.

I also have issues with Christianity. I think it's stupid to not date anyone who is not a Christian. My boyfriend is not a Christian. Neither am I.

I am pretty angry with the whole Christian thing. There are just some silly things in the bible. Yes I used to read the bible.

Atheism is looking pretty good about now. I don't believe in God. Would that make me an atheist? I don't know.... What do you think of my beliefs now? I feel like I've seen the light. There is no God. That makes me happy. I don't have to follow silly rules. I want to run my life my way. I don't want some God running my life. So far that hasn't worked out. I'm happy not going to church. I stopped going to church when I moved in with my boyfriend. He's not forcing me to go to church. I feel like I'm free to believe my own thing.

I also feel like I wasted my life believing in God, worshiping him, wasting time at church. Although I did have some pretty good times at church. I was on the worship team with my mom (mom passed away last year suddenly Sad )....those were happy times but now I seen the light. I am very angry at God if you've noticed. I been thinking about converting to Zen Buddhism. It makes a whole lot of more sense then Christianity does! My boyfriend is a Zen Buddhist. So far what I read is fascinating!
RE: My reasons for abandoned Christianity
welcome
My advice for what it's worth don't go swapping one set of beliefs for another, there is so much more to admitting I do not know and starting afresh than listening to people who say they have all the answers.
Welcome.
Cunt
(October 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm)jonb Wrote: welcome
My advice for what it's worth don't go swapping one set of beliefs for another, there is so much more to admitting I do not know and starting afresh than listening to people who say they have all the answers.

I don't quite understand what you mean? Can you explain more?
Welcome,
I am a new non-believer as well. Such a free-ing feeling! The whole Christian thing is such a guilt trip!!
I played drums in the praise band, so I know what you mean. I miss playing, I even miss the songs and music (although I now know the lyrics are quite funny)...
Hope you enjoy your life as a free person now, no longer a brain-washed sheep!
Smile
- Marc
- Your friendly Air Traffic Control Atheist.
Hello, rainbow. Its true that xtians have to swallow a lot of shit. Most do so willingly for reasons which escape reason. We have a few around here who will give you a demonstration sooner or later.

Meanwhile, relax and enjoy. You're among friends.
Welcome aboard!

(October 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm)rainbowdash274 Wrote: Atheism is looking pretty good about now. I don't believe in God. Would that make me an atheist? I don't know.... What do you think of my beliefs now?

Atheism is not another set of beliefs. It is not a replacement for theistic beliefs.

If the question is "Do you believe a god exists?", and you answer anything except for, "yes", you are an atheist.

Belief is a binary mental state. You either have the active belief that a god exists, or you don't. There is no middle ground between belief and disbelief.

So, your statement that you don't believe in 'God' (you mean all gods, or just the god of the Bible?), would seem to define you as an atheist.

Quote: I feel like I've seen the light. There is no God. That makes me happy. I don't have to follow silly rules. I want to run my life my way. I don't want some God running my life. So far that hasn't worked out. I'm happy not going to church. I stopped going to church when I moved in with my boyfriend. He's not forcing me to go to church. I feel like I'm free to believe my own thing.

Yes, it is liberating when you come to the conclusion that a god, especially a judgmental god as depicted in the Bible, almost assuredly does not exist.

Quote:I also feel like I wasted my life believing in God, worshiping him, wasting time at church. Although I did have some pretty good times at church. I was on the worship team with my mom (mom passed away last year suddenly Sad )....those were happy times but now I seen the light. I am very angry at God if you've noticed. I been thinking about converting to Zen Buddhism. It makes a whole lot of more sense then Christianity does! My boyfriend is a Zen Buddhist. So far what I read is fascinating!

Excuse me, but I can't help my radar from going off here.

How can you be angry at a being that you do not believe exists? You seem to be confirming (at least to Christians) that many people become atheists because they are 'angry at God'.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Welcome aboard!

(October 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm)rainbowdash274 Wrote: Atheism is looking pretty good about now. I don't believe in God. Would that make me an atheist? I don't know.... What do you think of my beliefs now?

Atheism is not another set of beliefs. It is not a replacement for theistic beliefs.

If the question is "Do you believe a god exists?", and you answer anything except for, "yes", you are an atheist.

Belief is a binary mental state. You either have the active belief that a god exists, or you don't. There is no middle ground between belief and disbelief.

So, your statement that you don't believe in 'God' (you mean all gods, or just the god of the Bible?), would seem to define you as an atheist.

Quote: I feel like I've seen the light. There is no God. That makes me happy. I don't have to follow silly rules. I want to run my life my way. I don't want some God running my life. So far that hasn't worked out. I'm happy not going to church. I stopped going to church when I moved in with my boyfriend. He's not forcing me to go to church. I feel like I'm free to believe my own thing.

Yes, it is liberating when you come to the conclusion that a god, especially a judgmental god as depicted in the Bible, almost assuredly does not exist.

Quote:I also feel like I wasted my life believing in God, worshiping him, wasting time at church. Although I did have some pretty good times at church. I was on the worship team with my mom (mom passed away last year suddenly Sad )....those were happy times but now I seen the light. I am very angry at God if you've noticed. I been thinking about converting to Zen Buddhism. It makes a whole lot of more sense then Christianity does! My boyfriend is a Zen Buddhist. So far what I read is fascinating!

Excuse me, but I can't help my radar from going off here.

How can you be angry at a being that you do not believe exists? You seem to be confirming (at least to Christians) that many people become atheists because they are 'angry at God'.

I know it sounds funny to be angry at something that does not exist. I have a christian family and my aunt sounded disappointed in me when, I told her I was having some doubts about god. I wish she would let me believe my own thing, and leave me alone about it.
You're making this way too complicated. Go back to the god/no god bit.

Even if I give a religious idiot the existence of god for the sake of argument, none of them can logically connect their special book and creed to this entity. It's impossible. Their entire argument then hinges on two gambits: how afraid you are of the unknown and/or how gullible you are.
I used to be Catholic and go to church every sunday. I grew up in an unfortunate area and I went through allot of painful shit. One day I realized god was never going to help me, I was the only person who could change anything in my life. When I look back at it, as a child I just don't understand why god never helped me.

If you look at christianity it is a very flawed religion, it allows it's followers to commit horrible deeds and repent later. I suppose I'm short on forgiveness.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin