Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First openly homosexual senator elected to term.
First openly homosexual senator elected to term.
Wisconsin [THAT'S WHERE I LIVE! 8D] elected the first openly-gay senator to term tonight in the form of Democrat Tammy Baldwin.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/201...tires?lite

She's also the first woman senator from Wisconsin, too.

It's worth noting that former Gov. Tommy Thompson [what a name] served under the Bush Administration as secretary of Health and Human Services [yeah good job on that, by the way...] and was a touted pick and highly supported by Tea Party-affiliated state governor Scott Walker.

Unfortunately for me, democrats lost the state senate majority, leaving Wisconsin entirely in majority republican control under a tea party state governor. I expect nothing good to come from this. :/
RE: First openly homosexual senator elected to term.
Good luck, Creed.

But yay! Social progress! Did you see/hear and ads against Baldwin? Did they just go: "She's a woman.... AND GAY."?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
I loved it. Women did well, and homosexuality did well, not just with her election but with same sex marriage passing in several states.

We've come an amazingly long way in a very short time with homosexuality. It wasn't that long ago that most states were passing laws or changing their constitution to ban same sex marriage. Now, this time around, the question was on 4 state ballots in one way or another and in all four cases the people voted for marriage equality.

In another 20 years, homosexuality will be socially acceptable and fundamentalist Christian churches will claim they were never homophobic or that the homophobes weren't really Christians. I'm just glad they're putting videos on Youtube we can save to throw back in their faces later.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(November 7, 2012 at 10:20 am)Annik Wrote: Good luck, Creed.

But yay! Social progress! Did you see/hear and ads against Baldwin? Did they just go: "She's a woman.... AND GAY."?

Nah, Wisconsin's too much of a democratic state for that to work. Reason we lost the state senate and house was largely because of the "swing areas" of the state. Lots of people voting for the presidency, not quite so much voting for the state politics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wyoming Senator gets booed at Commencement. Jehanne 4 674 May 17, 2022 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Congressional Term Limits Aristocatt 30 2833 January 2, 2021 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Aristocatt
  If your senator is Republican... Gawdzilla Sama 5 594 October 5, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Senator Feinstein Says "Fuck The GOP." Minimalist 10 2154 January 11, 2018 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  The 2018 mid-term US elections. Jehanne 18 4521 October 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Senator Alexander Shits On The WLB's Fucking Budget Minimalist 6 1803 September 13, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Quick fix marketing, and long term politics. Brian37 6 1590 April 19, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: brewer
  My Republican Senator is NOT coming to town! Instead, she is sending her aides. Jehanne 11 1831 March 5, 2017 at 8:00 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  One Month into his term, Trump goes....back on the campaign trail? Aroura 25 5806 February 23, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate Doubting Thomas 15 1988 October 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas