Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence of God
Evidence of God
Modern Neuroscience and Medical Doctors have proven that the human brain was hardwired with a
"God-gene". How could the human brain possibly be hardwired to believe in God if God doesn't exist?

This latest study shows that God predates human civilization. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/neurolog...68/1158688
RE: Evidence of God
Truth,

I would suggest that you read the whole article thoroughly and see if you come to the same conclusion. Dr. Hamer was seeking to prove that there was a correlation between spirituality and genetics. He found out about VMAT2 polymorphism and then made a jump to calling it the god gene.

This is what Dr. René J. Muller has to say about Dr. Hamer's approach:
Quote:The "bottom up" explanations for religious belief and spirituality offered by neurotheologians and neurogeneticists derive from a science that sees our lives as being largely determined by biological factors. These theories are based on empirical data that have been "stretched" across a discontinuity that still separates the constructs of brain and mind.11 In spite of what some clinicians and theoreticians propose, no one can yet say how the brain—which is necessary for all activity that we recognize as human and is clearly a progenitor of what we call the mind—produces the contents of consciousness,12 including religious belief.

Rhizo
(August 9, 2009 at 11:24 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Truth,

I would suggest that you read the whole article thoroughly and see if you come to the same conclusion. Dr. Hamer was seeking to prove that there was a correlation between spirituality and genetics. He found out about VMAT2 polymorphism and then made a jump to calling it the god gene.

This is what Dr. René J. Muller has to say about Dr. Hamer's approach:
Quote:The "bottom up" explanations for religious belief and spirituality offered by neurotheologians and neurogeneticists derive from a science that sees our lives as being largely determined by biological factors. These theories are based on empirical data that have been "stretched" across a discontinuity that still separates the constructs of brain and mind.11 In spite of what some clinicians and theoreticians propose, no one can yet say how the brain—which is necessary for all activity that we recognize as human and is clearly a progenitor of what we call the mind—produces the contents of consciousness,12 including religious belief.

Rhizo
Yes, you have posted the skeptical side of the latest study. Dr. René J. Muller admitted, we are unsure at this time.

Why do humans have this gene to believe in religion, and God? Where did this gift come from?
Truth,
I wouldn't call the ability to believe in " god " a " gift ", more a " curse ".
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(August 9, 2009 at 10:53 am)The_Truth Wrote: Modern Neuroscience and Medical Doctors have proven that the human brain was hardwired with a "God-gene". How could the human brain possibly be hardwired to believe in God if God doesn't exist?

Actually the article asks the question, "are we hardwired for belief" ... it pretty much concludes we're not.

Try again god boy!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Richard Dawkins makes the case that we are genetically pre-disposed to OBEY when an older person tells us not to pet the saber-tooth tiger, or not to stick our hands in the fire or not to swim in a river where there are crocodiles. Human children who FAIL to adhere to such wise counsel usually ended up as saber-tooth tiger shit long before they could reproduce.

Unfortunately, that same tendency to listen to adults also comes into play when one of them says to sacrifice a goat to make it rain. It does nothing for the rain and it is hard on the goat.... but the principle is the same.

Dawkins makes a hell of lot more sense than any of your fucking preachers, lad.
(August 9, 2009 at 8:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Dawkins makes a hell of lot more sense than any of your fucking preachers, lad.

And the ones who ain't fucking.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
HILLARIOUS the bullshit these guys leap at without even reading the articles they link to.
(August 9, 2009 at 10:53 am)The_Truth Wrote: How could the human brain possibly be hardwired to believe in God if God doesn't exist?

1. How could the human brain not be hardwired to believe in God if he doesn't exist?

2. How is this remotely evidence of God?

EvF
The idiot appears to have gone ... give it a rest guys!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6682 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4100 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13544 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2906 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9626 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 49390 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11526 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21842 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4424 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 28025 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet