Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Culture Assignment
Culture Assignment
So my 6 year old brought home an assignment that's due at the end of the month. It's called: My Culture. It's requirements are at least 4 examples of the following categories (in picture form-he is in 1st grade after all).
Flag from your country
Food enjoyed in your culture
Traditions of your culture
Holidays celebrated
Special dress worn
With captions for the pictures, in either poster or book form.

Only problem is, we don't have a different culture... We're kind of generic Americans Undecided Both hubby and I were not raised with any foreign cultural influences. I'm a conglomerate of Polish, Irish, Anglo-Saxon... and hubby is a mutt of French, Anglo-Saxon, and German descent... But neither of us celebrates any foreign-type cultural stuff, neither do our families.
I'm resisting the urge to do an Atheist culture... we could wear spaghetti strainers on our heads, enjoy the flesh of infants, and celebrate festivus or some naked dancing for the solstice. I think that would probably get him into trouble with his teacher and peers though. But a girl can dream Big Grin
I'm glad they're doing this for the kids who are 1st generation Americans, but it kind of stumps me as to what we should do for the project. Any ideas?
RE: Culture Assignment
Flag: US Flag.
Food: Erm...hamburgers? Big Grin
Tradition: 4th July Fireworks
Holiday: Thanksgiving
Special dress: Can't help you there. Big Grin
The only thing I can think of for food in relation to American culture is the horridly high rates of obesity... I was thinking a can of Crisco would serve nicely Smile
Just thinking, your state probably has a flag, so that would be a bit more unique than the US flag.
We only moved here 5 years ago, I don't feel I can claim to be a Marylander yet Undecided
Hey, tell me from where in Germany your "hubby" (assume it means husband) is from. Would be easy for me to find out more about that place.
And I have been to Poland various times, especialy in Gdanzk and have been a participant in a small project for furthering Polish-German friendship, so I might be able to find out a few things about the Polish place you decend from.
Oh, dear... We are so far removed from that... My husband's great-grandfather's last name was Grimm, as in Grimm's fairy tales (some distant relation they claim), that's his mom's side. Oh! and right before he died, my husband's maternal grandfather admitted he was 1/2 Native American. I forget the tribe, but he was raised by his white grandparents who hated Indians and were evidently quite cruel to him Sad Hubby's father's side were French Huguenots from Canada. I have no clue where my Polish side comes from. My grandfather's first language was Polish and he always had an accent, but he was born here in the US. It was his parents who came over, not sure if they were married in Poland or here though. My dad's mom was Scots-Irish and his dad was English.
A decendant from the Grimm brothers - impressive. They were from "Hanau" in the state of "Hessen" - maybe take some info from that - It use to be a independant nation and I could send you some info about traditions and other.

What I heared of the Hugenots - was a pritty sad story of a prosecuted people - maybe to sad for a schoolclass for children.

Poland. mhmmmm You could just take polish culture in total?

And on the subject of native americans I`m completly lost.
[Image: 1_300dpi.jpg]
A flag

[Image: Chow_mein_1_by_yuen.jpg]
Chow mein

[Image: Guns.jpg]
Tradition

[Image: wdyson_0407.jpg]
Holiday

[Image: Riot-cops-with-guns-Reuters.jpg]
Special dress
Jon...
ROFLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Culture Ahriman 61 3880 August 21, 2023 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Russian criminal culture purplepurpose 0 218 December 10, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Mass culture is dull Interaktive 15 1581 April 24, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: c172
  East Asians don't integrate into Western culture Alexmahone 38 3443 March 16, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  White Culture Under Attack chimp3 54 10230 September 5, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Star wars and pop culture? ignoramus 25 2755 March 9, 2017 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  The Kewt Way to Fight Rape Culture thesummerqueen 12 3787 December 15, 2012 at 7:11 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Censorship, rape culture and free-speech Autumnlicious 29 11146 March 20, 2011 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Violet
  Philosophy Assignment Rockthatpiano06 13 4420 February 13, 2009 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Rockthatpiano06