Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Scientific Basis of Morality
The Scientific Basis of Morality
I think this is interesting:
This is part one of episode 23:

Part two:

or the link to all of the other videos in this series
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=...541E8576D7
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: The Scientific Basis of Morality
Everything looked fine and dandy until 1:13

What kind of "something" are we talking about here? What are the ontological properties under consideration?

The visual they use in the video is mathematical 1 > 0.

But if 1 is something, is -1 also something?
RE: The Scientific Basis of Morality
(November 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Everything looked fine and dandy until 1:13

What kind of "something" are we talking about here? What are the ontological properties under consideration?

The visual they use in the video is mathematical 1 > 0.

But if 1 is something, is -1 also something?

It's explained in part 2 as he clears it up. Also the video was made in Christians and people who don't over analyze, really you need to watch the whole series.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6766 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Morality Kingpin 101 5760 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6374 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8898 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality Agnostico 337 36913 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4192 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160416 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 59991 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 46303 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok