Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nothing supernatural about the western suburbs of Melbourne
Hello
My name is Matt. I am a father of two and was a marine ecologist until the development of cheap genetic assays made my morphological taxonomy skills largely redundant. Rudderless, I became involved in social justice projects. Who knew there was a societal role that pays less and is orders of magnitude less glamorous than benthic ecology? At least there is no seasickness involved.
Melbourne is home but I have spent some years overseas and interstate.
I want religion out of my government, the government coffers and the government schools.
Cheerio
Matt
Howdy!!
RE: Nothing supernatural about the western suburbs of Melbourne
Hello Matt.

Speaking personally I know that our Church was approached recently by a government school to run a breakfast program (we declined the invitation as we aren't in a position to commit to it at present). How do you expect us to "stay out of schools" when we are clearly approached by them? This isn't an isolated incident either FYI.
Just say no.

(November 24, 2012 at 9:48 am)Daniel Wrote: Hello Matt.

Speaking personally I know that our Church was approached recently by a government school to run a breakfast program (we declined the invitation as we aren't in a position to commit to it at present). How do you expect us to "stay out of schools" when we are clearly approached by them? This isn't an isolated incident either FYI.

Just say no.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Howdy.
Cunt
Willkommen

I`m embarrassed of myself. I had no idea where and what Melbbourne is and where it was, and had to google it.
Hey WLB,
Welcome. LTNS
This is a good forum.
Cheers.
(November 24, 2012 at 11:38 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: I`m embarrassed of myself. I had no idea where and what Melbbourne is and where it was, and had to google it.

Ignorance is not an embarrassment if you resolve it and care to.

Welcome busker!
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(November 24, 2012 at 9:48 am)Daniel Wrote: Speaking personally I know that our Church was approached recently by a government school to run a breakfast program (we declined the invitation as we aren't in a position to commit to it at present). How do you expect us to "stay out of schools" when we are clearly approached by them? This isn't an isolated incident either FYI.

I am specifically keen to get government funded religious programs and staff out of our publicly funded schools, but you can say no to anyone who requests anything of you that you are not obliged to provide, too.
Could you please provide details of the many incidents you allude to? I am keen to follow up on this and see if the principal is applying preference to your church or if some other form of cronyism is at play.
Cheers
Matt

(November 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: Hey WLB,
Welcome. LTNS
This is a good forum.
Cheers.

Hello LionIRC
Why do you think this is a good forum?

Thanks for the various welcomes.
Ignorance of Melbourne is widespread throughout the world. I am pleased to be doing my bit to educate.
Hi Matt. I totally agree with your thoughts so far on government and religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nothing in particular Stu35 13 1534 September 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy