Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Avoiding questions
Avoiding questions
Some seem to thing that the theist here are avoiding questions. I can not speak for everyone, but i know I don't unless the question is an attempt to derail the topic or is just beligerantly disrespectful or blasphmous. Basically The whole "Don't throw your pearls of wisdom before swine." Command Christ issued.

That said I also do understand where many of you who think this, come from. In that You have a set view of Christianity, and let say for instance you believe in the omni benevolance of God. You believe this to be an intrinsic value of God, which allows you to ask a question like: "If God is all loving then why/how does he send the ones He love to Hell?"

This question can not be answered as stated. Not because we just can't answer because you have found some unanswerable paradox. it is because You have based your question on an incorrect belief about God. I do acknoweledge and understand that a major portion of Christianity may very well agree with you because a old man in a tall white hat said so. But truth be known (biblically speaking) There is nothing in the bible that says God has the quality you have formed a question around. Therefore the question is not valid and can not be answered as stated. The best any of can do is try and redefine your understanding of God to match what the bible actually says. But it seems some of you have built arguements around hating God in a very specific way, and seem afraid to address God as the bible describes Him. so you hang on to what amounts to a Sunday school understanding of God. Then complain that 'we' are afraid to answer your questions Which is not the case at all.

In truth some of you seem incapiable of asking revelant questions. You build these straw men and demand that we account for the god you or your favorite 'hate God website' has created, and when confronted with your incorrect understanding of God. some of you say, it is the one who is trying to give you a more accurate understanding of God who is avoiding the question.
RE: Avoiding questions
No one cares, man.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(November 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm)Drich Wrote: Some seem to thing that the theist here are avoiding questions. I can not speak for everyone, but i know I don't unless the question is an attempt to derail the topic or is just beligerantly disrespectful or blasphmous. Basically The whole "Don't throw your pearls of wisdom before swine." Command Christ issued.
How do you decide what's blasphemous and what's not, though? (Because to a non-religious person concepts like sacred, blasphemous, what have you, don't mean anything).

And I don't really like pearls, so you can keep them for yourself, no worries.
But the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others?
(November 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm)Drich Wrote: (...)it is because You have based your question on an incorrect belief about God.

And How exactly will you demonstrate that your god can be perceived by others?
Drich. This is what you and your god look like in every thread you open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg1R4CBYcWU
Don't sell yourself short regarding pearl tossing.

The extent of your inanity is perhaps the single best method for concretizing the concept of infinity.
This reminds me of a song I learned in church:

Beloved, let us love one another,
For love is of God and everyone who loveth is born of God and knoweth God,
He that loveth not, knoweth not God for God is love,
Beloved, let us love one another. First John 4:7-8

So, if God = love can love not be loving?

After all, what is love? Baby don't hurt me.

What is love? I think I know what love is. How do you say, Dee-lite?
You should be aware that most of the arguments people use against christians can be grouped as "attempts at falsifying god". Finding fallacies or contradictions in the way this entity is portrayed or described or defined.
It's not our fault that those descriptions of the deity are a bit convoluted and ,apparently, are so on purpose, to allow a multitude of different interpretations of the same text.

I prefer the approach of showing that it's more likely that there are no gods, rather than trying to show you that your god is not a good god to follow.... clearly, if you're ok with being it's slave and all the genocide that other such slaves have done for him, then you're hopeless.
Pearls are artificially inflated pieces of value anyway - they're bits that oysters shit out after coating a piece of dirt enough to make the passing easier.

Take that metaphorically, if you will.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Would you navigate the globe with a map of a flat earth?

Nofx - best god in show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHvVYYpkyXY