Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hermann Hesse
Hermann Hesse
This year, it has been 50 years since one of the greatest writers in the german language has died, Herman Hesse.

Due to this reminder, I again read one of his books and finished it a few days ago. Unterm Rad / Beneath the Weel.

I hope someone here might have read some of his work, and if you dont, you will still defenatly know it - because the band "steppenwolf" Whos name was taken from his novel "Der Steppenwolf".

Although he his undoubtably one of the greatest writers of that nation, he is not that popular and widespread within Germany as are other writers such as Thomas Mann, Bertold Brecht and Heinrich Böll - and more people read him in foreign countries than in Germany.

His works are mainly centered arround the theme of self determination.
Individuals who struggle with their existance or the situations in which they find themselves and their resulting feelings, needs, attempts to give their life meaning and their expressions.

Since it is always said here, that he is more positivly received and better known abroard, I would like to knwo if anyone else here has read some of his work and maybe has a opinion.
RE: Hermann Hesse
What book would recommend you to start with?
Well, I think Siddhartha would be the best starting choice, but there's also Demian, Steppenwolf, and The Glass Bead Game. Evidently, Hesse is one of those writers whose works are more popular abroad than in their native land.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I would go for Steppenwolf at the beginning.

It is somehow a continuing theme amongst german literature (and maybe art in general) that it`s greatest are ridiculed, persecuted and oftern driven into exile by a ignorant public. Or only receive the recognition which is owned to them at an old age or post mortem.

Kind of ironic that our greatest and witiest poet Heinrich Heine, was jewish, is buried in France, is a national hero in France and will probably always be more popular in France than in Germany.
I will give it a try asap and review it.
(December 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: I would go for Steppenwolf at the beginning.

It is somehow a continuing theme amongst german literature (and maybe art in general) that it`s greatest are ridiculed, persecuted and oftern driven into exile by a ignorant public. Or only receive the recognition which is owned to them at an old age or post mortem.

Kind of ironic that our greatest and witiest poet Heinrich Heine, was jewish, is buried in France, is a national hero in France and will probably always be more popular in France than in Germany.
I know how you feel. One of my favourite writers is Nathanael West, hardly anyone else knows who he is.

Indeed, but I think it`s because most people today cant be bothered to read anything.
(December 5, 2012 at 11:54 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Indeed, but I think it`s because most people today cant be bothered to read anything.

I mean, even some literature professors I know don't know who he was. If I mention him to a professor, there's a chance of about 30% that they'll have even heard of him.