Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asch Paradigm
Asch Paradigm
I came across this subject, Asch conformity experiments. For those who don't know what it is - Asch Paradigm or Asch conformity experiments were a series of laboratory experiments that demonstrated the degree to which an individuals own opinions are influenced by those of a majority group or people around them.

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2007/08/t...iment.html

Probably one of the reason why we have the "bible belt" in south-eastern and south-central United States or the Islamic states concentrated in or around the Middle-Eastern region in Asia.
RE: Asch Paradigm
(December 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm)Forsaken Wrote:
I came across this subject, Asch conformity experiments. For those who don't know what it is - Asch Paradigm or Asch conformity experiments were a series of laboratory experiments that demonstrated the degree to which an individuals own opinions are influenced by those of a majority group or people around them.

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2007/08/t...iment.html

Probably one of the reason why we have the "bible belt" in south-eastern and south-central United States or the Islamic states concentrated in or around the Middle-Eastern region in Asia.

Conformity is an ugly phenomenon indeed.
I think it's funny you chose only religious examples of this phenomena. Atheists aren't excluded. Surely not every single atheist in Europe or Canada or the west coast came to atheism without some influence of their own surroundings. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I think it's funny you chose only religious examples of this phenomena. Atheists aren't excluded. Surely not every single atheist in Europe or Canada or the west coast came to atheism without some influence of their own surroundings. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this.

I guess conformity to science (without sufficient knowledge in any particular discipline of science) is an example of some atheists "suffering" this phenomena.
Yeah, atheist are not excluded. But I assume, the social pressure is HUGE in a theocracy compared to a more individualistic society.