Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help?
Rainbow 
Help?
Hello, for those of you who don't know, (most of you), my name is Adam Wilson. I am 15.
I have cancer.
My father is abusive and a drunk.
My best friend recently commited suicide.
And my girlfriend who I lost my virginity hates me.

Im very depressed.
Im also suicidal.

But Im scared for one reason, what if Im wrong about everything and the devil is there ready to buttrape me with his burning hot pecker?

So my question for all of you, is it not worth it to just accept "god" even if just as insurance? Confusedhock:
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
RE: Help?
(December 10, 2012 at 11:21 pm)WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth Wrote: So my question for all of you, is it not worth it to just accept "god" even if just as insurance? :shock:

That would be...Pascal's Wager. I don't know if it would work, even if a god did exist.
Even if there was a god, any god of literature, I would not worship such a being. If there's an afterlife and hell is real, well, that's a problem for after death. Only life should concern the living.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

It's kinda pointless since there are so many different gods and conceptions of the afterlife. Christians have just as much of a chance of going to hell as atheists do.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(December 10, 2012 at 11:21 pm)WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth Wrote: So my question for all of you, is it not worth it to just accept "god" even if just as insurance? Confusedhock:

That would be...Pascal's Wager. I don't know if it would work, even if a god did exist.

[Image: rsE2s.jpg]
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Sounds like Pascal's wager.

Truthfully, believing in God or accepting a religion is a personal choice. You do whatever makes you happy.
I don't think that "accepting God as insurance" is the same thing as actually believing in God.

I have no idea if you're trolling. Your life seems, by your account, pretty horrific at the moment. It's a bit odd that the response has been Homer Simpson jpegs making fun of Pascal's wager and talking about how many ways the wager could go wrong. That's not usually how reasonable people respond to someone who just said they were feeling suicidal.

Which leads me to think that either the other contributors here are in a better position with regard to knowing whether you're a troll, and I should follow their lead in disregarding the seriousness of the account you've given, or they're just assholes and don't give two shits about offering you counsel, support, or guidance.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(December 11, 2012 at 7:34 am)CliveStaples Wrote: That's not usually how reasonable people respond to someone who just said they were feeling suicidal.

You know, that's a good point.

I have no idea if the OP is sincere or not, but given the serious nature of his post, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

@OP - I can only imagine how you must be feeling. If you're feeling suicidal, the best advice I can give is to get help - talk to your family doctor, your therapist/psychiatrist if you have one, a crisis help line, or even 911 if you have no other options. I've been down that road on more than one occasion, and going about it alone is not the way to do it.

I can only offer support and advice. I wish I could do more. If you need someone to talk to or advice on where to go to get the help you want, please feel free to PM me any time.