Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello everone
hello everone
Well I'm new here. I guess I'm suppose to tell my conversion story, mine isn't very interesting, i just never believed i just grew out of faith like the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy. Now what I can tell you is being an atheist in Oklahoma is a bit tricky. Every one here automatically thinks everyone is some type of theist. The constant asking what church i go to is getting to me, i find it rude, am i the only one?
RE: hello everone
Welcome Kesmoh

No you are not impelled to tell your story, it is just a general invite if you feel you would like to.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 24, 2012 at 2:22 am)KE5MOH Wrote: Now what I can tell you is being an atheist in Oklahoma is a bit tricky.

Tell me about it. I lived in Oklahoma for 25 years, the last 10 of which I was an atheist. Oklahoma is the kind of place that's filled with two things: stinking, smoke filled bars and churches. I guess they're going to spend 6 days going out, getting drunk, acting like stupid rednecks and then asking Jesus to take it all back on Sunday (just so they can go out and do it again next week).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
And we have a lot of walmarts too cant forget them too
Welcome
(December 24, 2012 at 2:22 am)KE5MOH Wrote: Well I'm new here. I guess I'm suppose to tell my conversion story, mine isn't very interesting, i just never believed i just grew out of faith like the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy. Now what I can tell you is being an atheist in Oklahoma is a bit tricky. Every one here automatically thinks everyone is some type of theist. The constant asking what church i go to is getting to me, i find it rude, am i the only one?

You are not the only godless OKey I know now. There is a guy online who goes by the name Hillbilly Atheist, he grew up in OK too. He used to do a internet radio show called "The Rational Redneck Hour".

A little bit of irony. I grew up in the burbs and now live in a trailer. He lived in a trailer and now lives in the big city.

Why don't people admit what they are doing when they ask that question? They might as well be asking "What gang do you belong to?".
Welcome aboard. I never get asked what church I go to.
You could simply answer "None."

And let them wonder......

Welcome aboard.
Welcome

Hmmm, I was trying to say something witty. Nevermind, watch some Carlin instead Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o
Well most of the time i say i don't or none, but sometimes they get aggressive and i have to let them know that i don't go, and will never go