Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athiesm is a Faith?
Athiesm is a Faith?
As anyone well aquainted with logical reasoning knows, its impossible to prove the non-existence of something. So if a proof that God does not exist is impossible, does this mean that beyond the proof of balance of probability ( which has seen many an innocent person executed wrongly ) based on our current level of science, any belief in athiesm or theism ultimately is a faith choice on two sides of same coin.
RE: Athiesm is a Faith?
People really need to stop flogging this dead horse.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
I suspect the recently banned "Savedbychrist94" simply cant let it be.
(December 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: As anyone well aquainted with logical reasoning knows, its impossible to prove the non-existence of something. So if a proof that God does not exist is impossible, does this mean that beyond the proof of balance of probability ( which has seen many an innocent person executed wrongly ) based on our current level of science, any belief in athiesm or theism ultimately is a faith choice on two sides of same coin.

Would you call you not believing in unicorns faith?
Cunt
(December 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: As anyone well aquainted with logical reasoning knows, its impossible to prove the non-existence of something. So if a proof that God does not exist is impossible, does this mean that beyond the proof of balance of probability ( which has seen many an innocent person executed wrongly ) based on our current level of science, any belief in athiesm or theism ultimately is a faith choice on two sides of same coin.

It depends on whether or not that you accept non-belief as a default position. If you take a number of other things, and the example I always used is Bigfoot. I don't believe that it is a position of faith to not believe in Bigfoot. Insufficient evidence has been presented to me for both Bigfoot and god. I don't believe in them by default. If a child was raised with all absence of references to god, he would almost certainly not believe in a god. It's the default position. Hence I can't justifiably call Atheism a faith.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Again? [Image: Cherna-facepalm.gif]

Why is it always so important to christards that atheism be considered a Faith™ ??
Get over it. Your god is pathetic, weak and unworthy of worship, that doesn't give an atheist some kind of "anti-faith."

The concept is so tired and annoying. See Frankie J's comment.
[Image: Evolution.png]

[Image: sigh.gif]

Atheism is not a faith. Neither is it a belief, an ideology or a religion. It is simply a lack of belief in the existence of a god or indeed gods.

I think we should put this in the Guidelines for Theists section along with a simple explanation of a 'scientific theory'
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

You can certainly prove that a thing doesnt exist in a defined area. Eg. Empty box / Cat does not exist in that box.

And if you destroyed something, that would constitute a form of proof that it no longer exists.

So I'm not so sure that it's logically impossible.

Besides, whats wrong with putting atheism into a category of theism - a belief with respect to the existence or otherwise of God(s)?

God - Yes?
God - No?
God - Maybe ?
Quote:Would you call you not believing in unicorns faith?

There is no evidence for unicorns.

Or for fucking jesus.
(December 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: I suspect the recently banned "Savedbychrist94" simply cant let it be.

I second that suspicion.

Anyway, atheism is not faith, it is an absence of faith. I don't have faith that the is no god, but I also don't have faith in any god.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13071 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1464 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34653 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2849 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  My 'Athiesm' DarthFritz82 9 1222 March 9, 2019 at 7:07 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7829 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8784 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12659 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4678 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 38073 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive