Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert's Corner?
Convert's Corner?
Should it be titled "deconverts corner"?

How can a Christian convert to atheism?

I think Christians deconvert to atheism.
And Atheists convert to Christianity.

Am I wrong in saying this?
RE: Convert's Corner?
I would say we Deconvert FROM Christianity...not necessarily TO atheism. Otherwise I can't disagree
We could call it "deconvert's corner", but it kinda loses the nice alliteration. People know what we mean by "convert's corner" without having to be technically "correct" with the naming.

Plus, Dawkins' forum had this original idea, so we only copied it from him.
Quote:How can a Christian convert to atheism?

By wising up?
(August 18, 2009 at 3:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:How can a Christian convert to atheism?

By wising up?
I'm a Christian, And I have to openly admit, that was funny. Smile
(August 18, 2009 at 2:21 pm)Tiberius Wrote: We could call it "deconvert's corner", but it kinda loses the nice alliteration. People know what we mean by "convert's corner" without having to be technically "correct" with the naming.
Yes, when I read the title, I knew right away what it meant. I just thought I would get technical on you. Cool Shades

Quote:Plus, Dawkins' forum had this original idea, so we only copied it from him.
Fair enough
Convert? Atheism isn't a religion. You just decide that you don't believe the stupidity and nonsense that goes along with religion any longer. You know that Atheists are on average smarter right? 98% of scientists are Atheists. Trust their judgement.
I don't think you can get away with saying Atheists are smarter. If you can, may I assume that believers are more moral? Are the scientists the ones you mention the makers of spermicide corn? There are a lot of scientists I would rather not trust, they push limits and mess with stuff far too complex and unknown to be safe. And if they have a conflict of interest, and want to make money instead of right...
(August 19, 2009 at 12:52 am)Pippy Wrote: I don't think you can get away with saying Atheists are smarter.

I completely agree. I always cringe when someone makes that statement.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Pretty much, Truth is right here but, as adrian said, it's more for the aliteration than anything else.

I'm also with Pippy, while the atheists I personally know have above average IQs that is much more likely because I enjoy hanging out with people with high IQs. Of course it is also true that most theists I have met are blind when it comes to almost everything; that said I have also met some very intelligent ones and had good discussions with them.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(August 19, 2009 at 12:52 am)Pippy Wrote: I don't think you can get away with saying Atheists are smarter. If you can, may I assume that believers are more moral? Are the scientists the ones you mention the makers of spermicide corn? There are a lot of scientists I would rather not trust, they push limits and mess with stuff far too complex and unknown to be safe. And if they have a conflict of interest, and want to make money instead of right...

I'll grant that it might be a difficult thing to demonstrate empirically (not that you guys are hot on that ... except when you want to be of course ... oh my, am I being cynical?) but let's get down to brass tacks here! You have a personal relationship with an invisible magic man in the sky, who created the universe in six days, is his own son and a ghost, was born without a father and rose from the dead! Personally I think there's a reasonable case to be made!

ROFLOL

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Converter's Corner"? Greeny 14 6956 March 24, 2012 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Zen Badger