Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, Teen Atheist from Tennessee here
Hello, Teen Atheist from Tennessee here
So I've recently made the decision to be Atheist. I haven't told my parents who happen to be Catholic. That's pretty much my situation. I don't really know if I should come out or not. There's also the problem that my girlfriend is pretty religious. So yeah. Anyways, I'm socially awkward, into video games, and obviously love to play trombone. I'm probably going to be posting a fair amount on this forum since I have no one to talk to about my beliefs in real life. So Hi!
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
RE: Hello, Teen Atheist from Tennessee here
Welcome Smile
Hi there from the UK!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hey there. Enjoy your stay in this forum. Everyone's relatively normal, but we do have a few whack jobs popping up now and again, bashing their bibles and Qur'ans around the place!
Also, your situation is very similar to what mine was, and many others I'm sure. If you want to be honest in any sense of the word, you should definitely come out. The longer you wait, the worse the situation will get. What if you married your girlfriend, and then came out after so long? That would not end well I can tell you. If she dumps you because to your beliefs then, quite frankly, she doesn't deserve you. You would be far too virtuous for the her. As for your parents, remember this: if the nature of your relationship changes when you come out, the split will be entirely their fault. You need not worry though, most parents, mine included, are considerate enough to love you despite your opposing beliefs. Coming out will free you up massively, and an enormous weight will lift. I think the hardest part of this will be finding a point in a conversation where you can tell them your choice. Good luck bro!
Welcome!

What part of Tennessee?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Welcome!
Namaste, or something. Don't tell your folks until you have a job, your own place and are totally, financially independent. Tell the girlfriend, though. Seriously, I've been down that road; it's a long story but trust me, you don't want to end up having to lie to her the rest of your life just to keep the peace.
Hello and welcome
Welcome from a fellow musician.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Come to Massachusetts

And Haaaii

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here - hello! Orbit 16 1610 May 31, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello... I'm New Here ABQ505 17 1636 November 18, 2021 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello, I'm new here NecroTzar 20 2205 October 28, 2021 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  New here...just sayin' Hello. Frank Apisa 15 1781 June 27, 2021 at 6:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hello, I'm new here. FredTheLobster 15 1551 May 10, 2021 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3128 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Christian here! Posting4Jesus24 19 2339 March 25, 2020 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5317 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello, New atheist having a meltdown Dragonfly 58 7082 October 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Dragonfly
  Hello - I am a New Member Here CDF47 23 3878 May 21, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Jehanne