Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where from here?
Where from here?
Jon Paul;

You have laid out the ground work for the existance of what you call 'God'. May we assume the word 'God' is merely a label? The label means nothing so any referances to this 'actus purius' or 'pure actuality' or 'the creator' as God or FSM or Big Mac or whatever means nothing.

I have studied your writings and the writings you referanced. I even climbed that mountain where the guru sits answering questions and presented the material to him and he agrees. Jon Paul 'got it'.

JP is correct. I hereby concede the point. There is "something" outside all of this, a transcending whatever. JP calls it "God". I will also call it "God" for sake of argument.

Ok. After 5200 pages of posts on that 'other thread' that's out of the way.

What now?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Where from here?
Is this "conceding" a hypothetical or do you actually believe there is something transcending over the universe?

If you now "believe", perhaps you could explain it in such a way that we could all understand, given that JP has consistently failed to do so.
Sorry.

I thought I gave sufficient hint with the "I climbed that mountain where the guru sits..." that I concede hypothetically in order to move JP's ideology forward. I hesitate to blatently state it as if one doesn't truely believe it then JP's ideology train may slam the brakes on.

But yeah.... that's what it is, hypothetical.

Can you still work with that Jon?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
God is the descriptor. To give it another name is pointless.. it already has a name. And BTW we're not talking any God here, but specifically the Christian understanding of God (EV DON'T comment lol Wink). Just so we're clear.

Carry on...
But Fr0d0,

There is no evidence to support that claim! (I'm doing EvD's part for him)

One chip equals three bisquits,
Rhizo
Which Christian God would that be? The one from the old or the one from the new testament, as they are clearly different characters?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(August 24, 2009 at 6:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: God is the descriptor. To give it another name is pointless.. it already has a name. And BTW we're not talking any God here, but specifically the Christian understanding of God (EV DON'T comment lol Wink). Just so we're clear.

Carry on...

Fr0d0, you completely missed the point. Conceding the hypothetical that there is something does not mean conceding a "Christian something". You need to actually prove that, and that's what Dotard is getting at. If we pretend to accept that TAG is true and there is a God, how do we know it's Christian?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Or that it's sentient. Or that it's conscience.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
The Old Testament God isn't Christian until the New Testament is figured in.. THEN he becomes the Christian God, and you work backwards. (Roll up one trouser leg and touch your bared right nipple for the full effect Wink)

@ Rhiz - no EvD's beef with this is that God can't be Christian unless Christ is factored in to every mention of it.
Or that it even cares to communicate with us. Or that it 'loves' us. Or that it reproduced (Jesus). Or that it has morality equal or greater than mine. Or that it was catholic or not. Or that it is indeed not me?
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM