Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why'd you even ask?
Why'd you even ask?
There's this girl I know on fb. She posts a lot of political and religious stuff. Sometimes I comment politely on them when I disagree and express my objections. She deletes my comments every time.

Yesterday she asked what people thought about vaccines. She didn't express her views on it at all. It was just a question. I made two comments against the anti-vaccine people and within 5 minutes she deleted them both.

Here's what I said:

Quote:As far as I know, it's psuedoscience.

When you research odd claims like "vaccines will give you autism" or "naturalpathic/homeopathic medicine works" etc, any sort of weird claims like that, you need to read both sides of the debate on such things. And you have to read one side's view directly from themselves, and not the other side's interpretation of the opposition because it could very well be a strawman they've made.

In my experience, look up these subjects on Wikipedia. That gives you a more balanced interpretation of such things and they give you references from which you can follow up on for more investigation.

I think people fall for such things but they've already had a bias to want to believe it so they never really investigated the opposing views fairly.

Studying logic helps too.

I guess she prefers her echo chamber.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Why'd you even ask?
"Mumy! Tell that evil bold man to leave my beautifull worldview aloneeeeeeeeeee!"

Some people dont care about your opinion, think they are the most inteligent thing on the world and use every possible chance to express that.

The last thing you can expect these people to engage in is a debate.
Re: Why'd you even ask?
Find something to agree with her on and sneak under the radar
It depends, I like debating with people of opposing opinions but if people speak utter tosh I would delete their comments then. So I could understand her doing that if you were speaking utter tosh but I don't know. But why post that here instead of discussing it with her? The only way to find out is to ask her directly, not to make a thread on a website she isn't on?
You know there are people on facebook that I consistently consider removing just because they use it as their own personal soapbox. Although I don't go out of my way to comment, you did get me thinking that I never see dissenting opinions on their pages. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were deleting them. It's ironic because the loudest and most opinionated people are often those who are most sensitive.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Don't sweat the small stuff TEGH Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I use facebook as a soapbox mostly because I don't know what else to do with it. And, since I have a lot of politically and religiously regressive family members, I get the satisfaction of needling them (as some of them do the same thing). They'll delete my comments if I respond to their posts, but I never do that if they respond to mine. The only real thing one gets out of arguing on the internet is exposing a viewpoint for its absurdity.
(February 6, 2013 at 5:51 am)Ryantology Wrote: I use facebook as a soapbox mostly because I don't know what else to do with it. And, since I have a lot of politically and religiously regressive family members, I get the satisfaction of needling them (as some of them do the same thing). They'll delete my comments if I respond to their posts, but I never do that if they respond to mine. The only real thing one gets out of arguing on the internet is exposing a viewpoint for its absurdity.

I do think this is a small example of an overarching trend in society. The secular are overwhelmingly less in favor of censorship than the religious.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Re: RE: Why'd you even ask?
(February 6, 2013 at 9:03 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: I do think this is a small example of an overarching trend in society. The secular are overwhelmingly less in favor of censorship than the religious.
Or those with some responsibility taking out the trash (speaking non religiously).

I have some kids following me which restricts what I might say if I only had an adult audience
I know just what you mean there, Fr00d. I have lots of family members on mine, not to mention family of real life friends, so if I were to use Facebook the way it's meant to be used and said what's on my mind at any given time, I'd attract a lot of attention from uncomfortable quarters. One compromise I've adopted is to group certain contacts together into, well, groups, and that does at least allow me the option of targetting my thoughts and opinions towards only those specific contacts. Using this method I can also hide my status updates from specific groups as well if need be.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm happy for you! Is that even possible? Goosebump 0 109 February 12, 2024 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Goosebump