Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planetary Demise
Planetary Demise
The following article seems a bit biased and unfounded to me. I would like your input. I personally believe that humans are detrimental to the planet, but I would like to hear from those of you who support the thinking promoted in the attached article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhendrick...e-century/

Article Wrote:The most accurate measures of temperature come from satellites. Since the start of these measurements in 1979, they show minor fluctuations and an insignificant net change in global temperature.

Is the earth getting dangerously warm? Probably not, since the earth was warmer than it is now in 7000 of the last 10,000 years. By the way, does anybody know what the “right” amount of global heat is?

Now, if I need to re-adjust my thinking simply because I do not have all the information, I will do so, but I see no reason for global warming scientists to lie. However, if they are and you can present a valid reason for such blatant falsifications, I will gladly reconsider my position.

The evidence that I have seen seems to point towards a planet that is warming at an alarming rate.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Planetary Demise
I don't know. The back-and-forth on this subject can get pretty confusing, and both sides assume ill-intent on the part of the other. The AGW scenario seems to be, if anything, conservative regarding rising sea levels. OTH, proponents were at first mystified by stable temperatures for a few years, and then said it was increased particulate pollution from India and China which was masking warming...which seems like such an obvious input that I have to wonder what else they're missing.
The last two winters here in Michigan, a place that is notoriously cold and snowy, have been downright moderate to warm with only short intermittent bits of cold and snow. It has only served to bolster my beliefs in global warming and further my resolve for leaving a smaller footprint.

That being said, there are those who say that this is just another cycle and that this is just part of living on any planet. I'm not sold.

I really fucking hate this argument. We are making the planet warmer by burning fossil fuels. But even if we were not we are still over polluting it. What is the fucking difference between a clogged toilet at the North pole and a clogged toilet at the equator.
(February 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm)Cinjin Wrote: The last two winters here in Michigan, a place that is notoriously cold and snowy, have been downright moderate to warm with only short intermittent bits of cold and snow. It has only served to bolster my beliefs in global warming and further my resolve for leaving a smaller footprint.
That is bad evidence to base a belief in global warming on in my opinion. Temperatures fluctuate from year to year; a couple of warmer winters in Michigan does not necessarily indicate global warming for obvious reasons (it's local, and global warming is a trend over many many years). If Michigan suddenly had the coldest winter on record next year, would that disprove global warming? No.

Global warming is happening. I don't think there is conclusive evidence that it's caused by humans, or that it will be of any danger to us in the long run.

Certainly, less pollution is a good thing, but until governments stop getting in bed with oil / gas companies there isn't going to be an improvement on the performance and cost of alternative fuel sources, especially for cars.

Also, Mark Hendrickson is a professor of economics. Not exactly the first person I'd trust to write an article on global warming.
(February 4, 2013 at 5:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(February 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm)Cinjin Wrote: The last two winters here in Michigan, a place that is notoriously cold and snowy, have been downright moderate to warm with only short intermittent bits of cold and snow. It has only served to bolster my beliefs in global warming and further my resolve for leaving a smaller footprint.
That is bad evidence to base a belief in global warming on in my opinion. Temperatures fluctuate from year to year; a couple of warmer winters in Michigan does not necessarily indicate global warming for obvious reasons (it's local, and global warming is a trend over many many years). If Michigan suddenly had the coldest winter on record next year, would that disprove global warming? No.

Global warming is happening. I don't think there is conclusive evidence that it's caused by humans, or that it will be of any danger to us in the long run.

Certainly, less pollution is a good thing, but until governments stop getting in bed with oil / gas companies there isn't going to be an improvement on the performance and cost of alternative fuel sources, especially for cars.

Also, Mark Hendrickson is a professor of economics. Not exactly the first person I'd trust to write an article on global warming.

I'm in agreement on all these things. My mention of the weather in Michigan is by no means my sole solitary evidence for global warming. That would just be utter stupidity. I mentioned it as an event that only serves to strengthen my belief in Global Warming, regardless of it's true relevance.

That being said, the winters around here are damn peculiar, bordering on the bizarre and it is impossible to say flat out that global warming surely isn't having an effect on Michigan's weather. It may very well be having quite an effect. We really can't rule anything out.
(But yes, I agree that weird local weather is not direct evidence of anything.)

(February 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm)Cinjin Wrote:
Article Wrote:The most accurate measures of temperature come from satellites.

Well that’s debatable. For one thing satellites don’t provide direct measurement of temperature. They measure radiance of several frequencies of light. Temperatures are then calculated using some algorithm. On the plus side satellites can look at much broader areas. On the minus side not everyone’s calculations are the same as can be seen on the graph below.

In any case the satellite record does not differ significantly from the direct surface temperature measurements.

Another problem with the satellite record is it does not account for sub surface ocean temperatures very well. While our direct measurements of subsurface ocean temperatures are far from complete they are getting better and deeper. What that part of the record shows is that the oceans are storing large amounts of the heating caused by the accumulation of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.

[Image: Total-Heat-Content.gif]

This alone accounts for most of the variance we have seen in the predicted rates of global warming over the last couple of decades. Surfaces temperatures aren’t as high as predicted and sea levels are higher than predicted because the heat is being stored in the ocean rather than the atmosphere.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Forbes is the magazine of "business." In short, crooks. Believe anything they print at your own risk.
i hope global warming means i at least get some warmer seasons in england before i have to die

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(February 4, 2013 at 5:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Global warming is happening. I don't think there is conclusive evidence that it's caused by humans, or that it will be of any danger to us in the long run.

No evidence it is caused by humans?? Whether you use the term global warming or not, from the 'throw away' attitude of the previous generations and products made from materials like plastic that are non biodegradable that we simply throw to the dumps (when we can easily use more efficient materials) to the fact we now have millions of cars roaming the planet and ice caps melting how can you state that it is unsure it 'will be of any danger to us in the long run'?!?

And what about the animals who live in the wild whose habitats are being destroyed by this? I feel sorry for the people who have to live in this world in the future if we are just going to pass this problem off as not our fault.