Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's God
God's God

Just watch, God meets Gods God. Just who created God.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: God's God
hilarious!
Haha! Very hilarious!
[Image: final1361807471121.jpg]
Brilliant!!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
God doesnt have a creator or other God.

God is the first cause, the unmoved mover, as orginally identified by Aristotle.

If you dont accept that God "just exists", then you are indirectly proposing that we mortals "just exist".

Which is the same argument, with the same leap of faith but applied (much less convincingly) to mortals rather than to God.

And before anyone says it:

Its not absurd that something (God) can "just exist". Lots of stuff "just exists".

Why does 2 + 2 = 4? its not because someone made 2 + 2 = 4 - no, 2 + 2 = 4 because it just does.

Who made the truth? No-one, the truth "just exists".

And so on.
(February 26, 2013 at 10:26 am)Gabriel Syme Wrote: God doesnt have a creator or other God.

God is the first cause, the unmoved mover, as orginally identified by Aristotle.

If you dont accept that God "just exists", then you are indirectly proposing that we mortals "just exist".

Which is the same argument, with the same leap of faith but applied (much less convincingly) to mortals rather than to God.

Its not absurd that something (God) can "just exist". Lots of stuff "just exists".

Why does 2 + 2 = 4? its not because someone made 2 + 2 = 4 - no, 2 + 2 = 4 because it just does.

And so on.

Oh, Gabriel....

Let the feasting begin.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
Okay, so, like, first of all, why can't you just enjoy a good Darkmatter cartoon for what it is? Or at least address the points raised therein,instead of just going "nuh-uh!"?

But other than that, since I do enjoy an argument, let's get on with this. Tongue

(February 26, 2013 at 10:26 am)Gabriel Syme Wrote: God doesnt have a creator or other God.

Yes, that's pretty much word for word the special pleading fallacy: everything needs a first cause, except my little pet god, who doesn't. He's the one exception, and don't you dare argue otherwise.

Only your last point is wrong anyway, because we're able to trace back the lineages of life fairly well without ever coming across a deity getting involved there. For more information, please consult science.

Quote:And before anyone says it:

No, be serious. Numbers do have a cause: humans. They're concepts created by us, and there's no external "2" that exists beyond us people.

Quote:Who made the truth? No-one, the truth "just exists".

And so on.

Once again, it's a human concept. Things that are true are true regardless, but without an observer to determine that the concept is meaningless. Beyond that, there's no additional "truth" that exists without us.

Now, if you'd like to continue this argument and say that god is a thing produced by human imagination too, then that's fine and internally consistent. If not, then you're trying to argue that an external thing can exist just 'cause, using conceptual, mind-dependent things as examples. There's a big flaw there.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

And so on.

Your funny and you don't even know it.

I would expand on this but I'd just be replicating the arguments in the video.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.