Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we defined crazy?
How do we defined crazy?
How do we come to this conclusion of who is crazy and who is not?
RE: How do we defined crazy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_..._Disorders

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The DSM? Crack-pottery masquerading as science.

Discuss.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
usually who shows signs of mental instability i would think. But then again you know what they say "crazy people don`t know their crazy". are you crazy? because i am coo coo for coco puffsSmile
Panic
(February 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_..._Disorders
I already know about Wikipedia and Google to look up info but, thanks anyway. I was looking for a more personal answer though from everyone.

Any who, the reason that I ask this question was, I have been reading all about these crazy things happening in the news, from domestic violence that ends to fatal injuries or death and all these shootings, etc.

I understand this. Humans like all other animals, when cornered will react in some desperate manner to get out of arm's way, as they see it. I see there are a lot of unreasonal people putting other in very uncompromising situations, and these people often see no way out and they loose it, ie; suicidal victims like high school, college kids and military veterans just to name a few. These people have been put through some very hard and harsh situations that then traumatized them. They then living with these traumas, suffering daily while the rest if world go on by their business.

That's a huge problem the way I see it. As a so called human species who have evolved past our monkey days, we are still treating each like animals, preying on each other, and labeling, blaming and caging them afterwords.

I think we can do better.
It generally works something like this:

"I'm sane....you I'm not so sure about."
On the other hand, what crazy fuck would claim to be perfectly sane?
(February 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm)LastPoet Wrote: On the other hand, what crazy fuck would claim to be perfectly sane?

Scientologists do and a lot of people would think they are insane and they are right to assume that. Although I find that assessment odd, because these same people would consider fanatics of other "respectable" religions to be perfectly sane. For example; it is obvious that Pat Robertson is delusional and also in my experience I have found a lot of comments that religious fanatics make to be much the same as the rants of people suffering from schizophrenia.
undefined
Agreed Tristo.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm thinking a lot about this topic and obviously can't put it in the right words, or I just don't have the time to. The thoughts that I'm trying to put together some of which have been talked about here in different topics but again, I don't have the time to source them.

The idea that I have is that crazy is not a well defined condition to those being accused of it. One female once posted in another forum during a back and forth argument that crazy people tend to get under other crazy people skin. Which would imply that they go back and forth driving each other crazy. What I find is that the only thing that get people from calling each other crazy and going into conflict is common interest. And when that happens these people feel normal.

I know there are certain type of crazies that have a hard time functioning to the level that they can't even take care of themselves or be around people much but, those are just the obvious ones.

Because I have been trying to figure things out a lot, specially the people around me, who does what, what they believe and why, it seems more and more that crazy is a found of coping with life's issues; ie. someone is in situation they can't manage, feel stuck or pressured and they desperately need to get out of but knows no other way out. These people end up loosing it and become a disfunctional crazy. This crazy people now will be singled out but, he or she is not the only one. This movie Gothica with Halle Berry comes to mind as an example.

Believe it or not these kind of things are happening all around us and for ages at different levels of people behaving one way that is detrimental to another person, leaving said person to find extreme measures trying to cope with what's being done or have been done to them.

Society now blame and label that person as crazy but, not the other who push him/her to that mental state.

The bottom line is everybody has a reason for being crazy, whether is small or big, and a lot more people are crazy then just the obvious ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A crazy thought: Could causality not be real? Freedom of thought 13 4524 May 14, 2014 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Whateverist