Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IKEA horse meat scandal: Czech authority detects horse meat in IKEA brand meat balls
Exclamation 
IKEA horse meat scandal: Czech authority detects horse meat in IKEA brand meat balls

Article w/video
Posted: 02/25/2013
Associated Press

Quote:PRAGUE (AP) -- The Czech veterinary authority says it has detected horse meat in meat balls labeled as beef and pork imported to the country by Sweden's furniture retailer giant Ikea.

[Image: hourse2-smiley.gif?1292867620] Joey! It's what's for dinner... in Sweden! And Poland, and...Tongue
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous
RE: IKEA horse meat scandal: Czech authority detects horse meat in IKEA brand meat balls
Well it's a damn good thing that there's nothing wrong with horse meat and it's very good for you!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: IKEA horse meat scandal: Czech authority detects horse meat in IKEA brand meat balls
I really can't fathom why this should be an issue....after the "Mad Cow" incidents many European countries are unable to use their beef let alone export it.

Only crime here I see is that the meat wasn't labelled properly.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The meat had a high possibility of being contaminated with a set of chemicals not fit for human consumption.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
The media is blowing this way out of proportion. I haven´t met a single person here in Sweden who doesn´t give the same response when asked what they feel about this story: "So?"

Only issue with this is, like KichigaiNeko said, that the labelling was wrong.
That's just how IKEA sells horses: Some Assembly Required.
IKEA horse meat scandal: Czech authority detects horse meat in IKEA brand meat
You could say that about ALL meat products Moros. Apologies, but I have not been following the news story so I haven't heard about the chemical contamination, only the mad cow disease issue.
The difference is, Kichi, that horses are not generally bred for food, and so the sources of the horsemeat were more likely to be horses which were old or had to be put down. Such horses are often given the painkiller phenylbutazone (bute) which is dangerous for humans in large doses. Cows that are bred for slaughter are not given these drugs.

This wasn't some case where good, healthy horsemeat was mixed up with beef. It is becoming clearer over the course of the investigation that this is the result of organised crime / corruption.

Source: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/February/Pag...afety.aspx
IKEA horse meat scandal: Czech authority detects horse meat in IKEA brand meat
Hmm. Like I said. Haven't been following the story. And my news feed hadn't divulged THAT little tid bit of info. Sounds bad.
Like Tibs pointed out its that drug used on horses. There is a market niche for horse meat (rightfully labeled), but its quite the bland quality meat, and usually unexpensive. That and the costs of growing a horse as livestock is quite unpractical, as you can grow a cow in a year and a half, while a horse takes 3-4 years.

The problem is that they were selling a bad product, possibly contaminated, but hey, once something is thrown into the meat grinder, its hard to tell them apart. To all regards, this investigation has been very well executed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy parts for Czech Moped Jawa 350! tonnik 7 702 April 16, 2023 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Dark meat vs. light meat Foxaèr 11 803 December 1, 2021 at 12:20 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 680 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Your favorite meat approximation? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1599 August 29, 2020 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A Different Brand of Idiot onlinebiker 39 1616 July 21, 2020 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Deer meat BrokenQuill92 15 1021 February 19, 2020 at 6:37 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Brand Spanking New (Sort of) Writer's Forum (Unmoderated) Shell B 18 2565 May 18, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Chocolate what's your favorite brand or type? Amarok 50 3279 February 27, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Three meat versus four meat pizzas Czechlervitz30 29 2741 July 12, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: c172
  Meat eating ethical? Tea Earl Grey Hot 87 11660 June 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: bennyboy