Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is Imaginary
God is Imaginary
I grew up living in a completely Christian family. Nobody in my family was atheist. My dad however, believed in evolution. When I was about 10, I started believing that God created animals which evolved into us. This belief stayed around for a number of years, until I started believing in primordial soup. I thought that God created a primordial soup, which created life, evolving into us. You may see where this is heading. Later on, I found a bunch of arguements against (and for) the existence of a god. I could disprove every one of them. One night, at the YMCA, working out with my family, I decided to become Atheist. I told everyone (well, almost everyone) in my family. I then went on to find a wonderful website. Link is Here. This is a wonderful website which has strengthened my belief against a god.
RE: God is Imaginary
I fear people are not quite as intellectual as that web site assumes.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/r...kooks.html

Quote:Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire: A Look into the World of the Gospels (1997)

Richard Carrier

We all have read the tales told of Jesus in the Gospels, but few people really have a good idea of their context. Yet it is quite enlightening to examine them against the background of the time and place in which they were written, and my goal here is to help you do just that. There is abundant evidence that these were times replete with kooks and quacks of all varieties, from sincere lunatics to ingenious frauds, even innocent men mistaken for divine, and there was no end to the fools and loons who would follow and praise them. Placed in this context, the gospels no longer seem to be so remarkable, and this leads us to an important fact: when the Gospels were written, skeptics and informed or critical minds were a small minority. Although the gullible, the credulous, and those ready to believe or exaggerate stories of the supernatural are still abundant today, they were much more common in antiquity, and taken far more seriously.

While a good essay, Carrier misses out on modern religious fuckwits like the mormons and jehovahs witnesses who fall for far more modern bullshit. Far too many people are merely credulous fools who have all the intellectual capability of a stone.
(February 27, 2013 at 9:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: While a good essay, Carrier misses out on modern religious fuckwits like the mormons and jehovahs witnesses who fall for far more modern bullshit. Far too many people are merely credulous fools who have all the intellectual capability of a stone.

[Image: travis_wut-w.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Exactly.