Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is faith important?
Why is faith important?
Question to those who're of the opinion that faith is important, why is it that you believe faith to be an effective pathway to attaining truth about god/s?

Secondary question: Are there any other aspects of life by which faith can be used to to make accurate judgements and/or decisions?
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
RE: Why is faith important?
(February 27, 2013 at 9:30 pm)Question Mark Wrote: Question to those who're of the opinion that faith is important, why is it that you believe faith to be an effective pathway to attaining truth about god/s?

The only faith that has been required from us is the faith of a mustard seed. Meaning we just need the tinest amount to Have God open the flood gates of heaven for us.

Quote:Secondary question: Are there any other aspects of life by which faith can be used to to make accurate judgements and/or decisions?
I use faith whenever the evidence allows.
"The only faith that has been required from us is the faith of a mustard seed. Meaning we just need the tinest amount to Have God open the flood gates of heaven for us."

I'm sorry. A mustard seed? You've got to be joking me. Are you saying that you have the faith that the mustard seed has, or the faith the size of a mustard seed? I just want to clear things up.
Why didn't your fucking god know that there were seeds smaller than a mustard seed?

For that matter, why does he seem to think that mustard seeds grow into "trees?"

You'd think a god would be better versed on this shit, wouldn't you?
(February 27, 2013 at 11:17 pm)Drich Wrote: I use faith whenever the evidence allows.

I'm not sure what you're defining as faith. Faith by definition is belief without evidence. If you had evidence, then you'd surely believe on evidence, not on faith?
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
Unsurprisingly, nothing but meaningless platitudes and doubletalk from Drich.

The bullshit is already getting deep in this thread.
(February 27, 2013 at 11:32 pm)Question Mark Wrote:
(February 27, 2013 at 11:17 pm)Drich Wrote: I use faith whenever the evidence allows.

I'm not sure what you're defining as faith. Faith by definition is belief without evidence. If you had evidence, then you'd surely believe on evidence, not on faith?

That's what he means - when evidence is not there.
(February 27, 2013 at 11:58 pm)genkaus Wrote: That's what he means - when evidence is not there.

Well I'd like to know what sort of things, other than god, he would take on faith.
(February 27, 2013 at 9:30 pm)Question Mark Wrote: Question to those who're of the opinion that faith is important, why is it that you believe faith to be an effective pathway to attaining truth about god/s?

Secondary question: Are there any other aspects of life by which faith can be used to to make accurate judgements and/or decisions?

Faith in REALITY is what is important.

Once you eliminate the nonsense from religions that have no basis in reality - people will be able to live their lives without a cloud of fear hanging over their head - and enjoy and celebrate reality - rather than live under the finger of human created nonsense.
The fact that faith is required to believe in any given Holy book demonstrates that there's no evidence or proof for its claims, otherwise it would be common knowledge. This allows for a myriad of crazy and superstitious beliefs to take hold of the individual if they wish to delve into a worldview that is lacking any sort of rational explanation for things via evidence and/or reason.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 34930 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13223 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11514 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58494 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4494 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6319 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4385 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23008 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37879 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8612 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet