Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here, not new to atheism.
New here, not new to atheism.
Hi. I'm 23-year-old female with an academic background in science.

I've been an atheist for a while now. I was raised Methodist but never believed in god. I did Bible study every week for years. At the age of 12, I left the church after an awesome minister told me to leave and explore on my own. I practiced Buddhism until I was 21. At that time, I found that I had rejected so many key parts of Buddhism that I was not really a practitioner anymore.

I'm firm in my belief that there is no god or traditional idea of a "soul" but I am still exploring to see if spirituality (whatever that may mean) exists and to what degree. Maybe this community can help.

So yeah, hi. Smile
RE: New here, not new to atheism.
(March 5, 2013 at 5:20 am)DrFreud Wrote: Hi. I'm 23-year-old female with an academic background in science.

I've been an atheist for a while now. I was raised Methodist but never believed in god. I did Bible study every week for years. At the age of 12, I left the church after an awesome minister told me to leave and explore on my own. I practiced Buddhism until I was 21. At that time, I found that I had rejected so many key parts of Buddhism that I was not really a practitioner anymore.

I'm firm in my belief that there is no god or traditional idea of a "soul" but I am still exploring to see if spirituality (whatever that may mean) exists and to what degree. Maybe this community can help.

So yeah, hi. Smile
Hi, it probably doesn't exist by the way whatever it means.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Re: New here, not new to atheism.
You are probably correct. I'm not terribly attached to the idea anymore so either way I can be at peace with.
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Welcome Freud Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ODU93wVdg
Welcome
Welcome.
“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
Welcome Enjoy the forums Smile
*assumes the position*

Where should I start?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9300 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Hi, I'm not new but here is another side to me. Whateverist 12 2277 May 2, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  I'm not new here, apparently Asmodee 21 2040 September 23, 2016 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Hello everyone, I'm not new here! Alex K 18 3238 December 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Here is what atheism is. Lemonvariable72 1 767 November 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Newbie to the forums; not to atheism. Crazyhippokid 15 3056 February 23, 2014 at 10:30 am
Last Post: ElleBelle
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 6685 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United
  New here and new to atheism UNCgirl 21 3700 March 7, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  I'm Not Sure Why I'm Here? discordianpope 19 7303 September 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: jonb
  I'm new here, so you may not be aware of my legendary status, but you soon will be. Gambit 13 3476 April 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: frankiej