Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The worst moment of my life.
The worst moment of my life.
tl;dr at bottom

Background
I was raised true catholic, not the bullshit catholic, i mean archaic, latin mass, on your knees, women must wear a veil covering on their head, believe you're eating/drinking the actual body/blood of christ, god is physically manifested when the tabernacle is open, catholic. My parents, who were not closed minded bigoted assholes, dragged us out of it when I was 6 or 7. Through adolescence, my views became more and more progressive (knew there couldn't be a hell, totally contradicts the notion of a god worthy of devotion, etc.), until I came to college.

Grandparents
My grandparents were devoutly crazy catholic (5PM mass everyday), but they were good people. It didn't matter that we weren't catholic anymore, or if it did, they had the decency not to vocalize it. Still talked to us, still loved us, sent us cards, spent holidays together, normal family.
They had a bucket-list kind of goal to visit every state in the U.S. and get a state shaped magnet as a souvenir. In 2008 they reached 49: Alaska. Went on a cruise, had a blast, couldn't wait for 50: Hawai'i. 3 months later they're in a hotel mere hours away from boarding their flight to Honolulu. My grandpa gets woken up by a pain in his left leg, and collapses trying to get to the bathroom. He's rushed to the hospital, and they discover cancer has disintegrated his marrow. It eventually metastasized to his prostate, and killed him after treating it for a year.

The Moment
The funeral was in the same dumpy, 1 room, 25 occupancy church I went to when I was a kid. Prayed the rosary that was drilled into me as a kid (reminds me of A Clockwork Orange). Then proceeded to listen to a man use my grandfather's death as a conservative pep rally, talking about how my grandfather exemplified pro-life by fathering 7 children, protected the sanctity of marriage by staying married to the same woman for over 50 years. His service to his country (Korea), to his god, to his family, all ensured he would spend less time suffering in purgatory before going to heaven. How sick is that? Telling the family of a man who devoted his life to service and spent his final year suffering from cancer, that he's still not done sacrificing for god? Now I believe in science, I like Asimov's thoughts on death, and to paraphrase: what is scary about a dreamless sleep?

Tl;Dr
My grandpa: war vet, hospital orderly/nurse for 35 years, retired to become a volunteer firefighter/ police dispatch officer, loyal family man, devoted his life to others, and dies in agony battling cancer for a year. Priest at the funeral, who knew my grandpa for 25+ years, portrays him as a poster boy for conservative values, then says he has to suffer a little more before he can go to heaven. I'd rather think he just became worm food than believe something that horrible.

Thanks for the rant.
RE: The worst moment of my life.
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forums.
Welcome Ike.

Pull up a chair have (your favourite beverage) and rest a while
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm so sorry that all this happened man. I hope you and your family find some serenity. Everyone for the most part is friendly, honest, and just down to earth good people here. Enjoy your staySmile howdy by the way.
I've had my own issues with Catholic funerals. A friend of mine killed himself, and the priest that ran the funeral spent the whole time comparing him to Judas Iscariot, who also committed suicide. No kind or comforting words. Just a simple comparison to a man that the Catholic church considers one of the most loathsome ever to have existed.

Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Welcome to the forum.

That is incredibly callous, but typical.

On a side note, it may be just me, but I find your avatar very scary. I'm not usually creeped out by such things, but you seem to have hit my bullseye.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

That is incredibly callous, but typical.

On a side note, it may be just me, but I find your avatar very scary. I'm not usually creeped out by such things, but you seem to have hit my bullseye.

Thank you / sorry it scares you.