Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My apostasy
My apostasy
Hi, yesterday I introduced myself and where I come from here, now I want to share on how I become an atheist

I was born a muslim.. I used to be a very devout follower of the faith, doing what was commanded & keeping myself away from what is forbidden..

as a kid (6 years old) I went to school every morning just like every other kids, we have no school on friday & sunday.. in the afternoon we attend religious school.. as Islam is the state religion here (Sunni Islam), it receive a significant funding from the government in keeping with the national philosophy Malay Islamic Monarchy (a blend of Malay language, culture and Malay customs, the teaching of Islamic laws and values and the monarchy system which must be esteemed and practiced by all)

I think you already know what is taught in any religious institutions.. that this religion is one true religion, you be good & you will be rewarded, you do wrong & you be damned.. that sort of things.. anyway, as a kid I took those lessons very seriously.. you know kids will believe in everything you say, thats me & pretty much every other kids too.. oh by the way we are also taught to antagonize every other religions

when I was 16 I realised I'm more into science (astronomy), not religion.. but I never thought of any deconversion at that time.. so when I watch various astronomy documentaries & read astro books, I realised there were something the Koran never told.. but then I still believed the Koran was the the words of God, and I dont paid much attention to any apparent mistakes in the Koran, thinking that Satan must have f*cked up my mind.. lol

its only when I was 22 that I decided to do some research about the Koran & compare it with other religious books.. what I found sort of broke my heart.. if this book is the words of God, it must be perfect but I found contradictions & blatant lies in it.. for example, the Koran stated that the universe is geocentric, that Earth is the center of everything, that Earth is flat, that everything orbit the Earth.. I found the same statement in the Bible & these ideas were prevalent when ancient Greek astronomy was taught all over the known world..

that left alot of questions in my mind, among them: if God exist & is an all-knowing & all-seeing being who lives in the heaven, why did he said Earth is flat, everything orbit around it when it became apparent by astronomical observations that we are in heliocentric world? surely if he is up there he should be able to see & tell everyone the heliocentric idea, not geocentrism.. well, unless that 'God' spent his entire life on Earth & never been in heaven, if heaven exist at all anyway..

another thing, there is a word referring to the act of manifesting in the Koran.. in Koran, Allah commands the universe to be, and it be (kun fayakun).. that mean he can create anything by just saying 'Kun' & it just manifest, in a blink of an eye.. however there is a verse in the Koran that states that heaven & earth were created in 6 eras/epochs/days.. why take so long if he can just create all of them by saying that 1 simple word?

those contradictions made me deducing that the Koran is not the word of God, but man-made.. though the thought of leaving my religion was still very hard for me to decide, with my mind mixed up between being damned for life & will be condemned to hell for eternity, to believing that religion is just an instrument made by man as a form of mass control.. eventually I believed in the latter..

I'm 26 now, I became an atheist very recently about 2-3 months ago after a long mental fight between my belief system & my free will.. I'm a free man now, free from all the absurdities, free from all the lies

well I know some of the forum members here are just like me, being taught religious education early in life.. a significant fraction of my life were wasted believing all that religious craps.. after this I would say "never again" to religion.. if there's really a God up there, he made one big mistake.. that is to give his human creation a mind to think & a free will to act with.. so much for omnibenevolent God.. even if he exist, such mistakes made him unworthy of worshipping..

as I said in my previous post, I cant admit openly on my religious view.. my country & people are different.. my family & society will cast me away & I can even lose my job if they found out.. so I think its best for me to just keep it for myself, except with like-minded folks like you Big Grin

well I think thats all I have for now to share with.. I hope my experience will become an example for those who wish to apostate.. living your entire life in a lie just not worth it
RE: My apostasy
Ha ha ha So this is what atheists do, every time a christian poses a question youguys can't answer you bann them... I would say that's pretty smart but then I would be lying because I'm just going to keep coming back on with a different username and the same question you "thinking" atheists cant answer... so the cycle continues and the unanswered questions remain... so please kick me off again you thinkers
(March 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm)of monkeys and men Wrote: Ha ha ha So this is what atheists do, every time a christian poses a question youguys can't answer you bann them... I would say that's pretty smart but then I would be lying because I'm just going to keep coming back on with a different username and the same question you "thinking" atheists cant answer... so the cycle continues and the unanswered questions remain... so please kick me off again you thinkers

You can barely type. I severely doubt you have anything more than drivel to add to this forum.
@OP - welcome! Nice to have you here.
Thank you for sharing your story! And just so that you don't get into unnecessary trouble, use Google Chrome and Ctrl+Shift+N and remember to lock your computer when you leave it.. Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Thank you for sharing your story! And just so that you don't get into unnecessary trouble, use Google Chrome and Ctrl+Shift+N and remember to lock your computer when you leave it.. Wink

thats exactly what I do each time, even on my password-protected computer Big Grin