Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why it matters
Why it matters
[Image: 19IbB23EKK819zoMxX.jpg]

The image says it all.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Why it matters
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion." - Steven Weinberg
"9-11 was a faith-based initiative.

-- Bill Maher."
Why do I care what other people believe? Well usually I don't. I only care if someone wants to blow me up for not believing in their God or if they use their religious views to make laws that govern all people. I don't like being told who I can and can't marry or what I can do with my uterus and ovaries based on a religion I don't even participate in.

I think it's quite funny they put the WTC on that statement. I'm sure it was made by a Christian. Do they not realize that religion is what killed all of those people that day or that religion is why we have terrorists?
(September 1, 2009 at 9:24 pm)dry land fish Wrote: I think it's quite funny they put the WTC on that statement. I'm sure it was made by a Christian. Do they not realize that religion is what killed all of those people that day or that religion is why we have terrorists?
I think the image was put there by an atheist as a response to the quote.
Because,

1. I care about the truth. I think belief in God is a delusion.

2. I think the result of religious belief does a lot of harm overall, and I think it has done an awful lot in the past too.

3. I think 1 and 2 are connected...delusion can be dangerous, delusion can be deadly.

4. And point '3.' is just another one of the reasons I think the truth is so important!

EvF
(September 1, 2009 at 9:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 1, 2009 at 9:24 pm)dry land fish Wrote: I think it's quite funny they put the WTC on that statement. I'm sure it was made by a Christian. Do they not realize that religion is what killed all of those people that day or that religion is why we have terrorists?
I think the image was put there by an atheist as a response to the quote.

Yeah that's possible. I still wonder if religious people ever make that connection though.
I should have provided a link. This is the source: http://www.atheist-community.org/atheisteve/
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
That is a good saying...honestly, there is no end to debating...Nobody is going to change anyone's perspectives at the end of the day... we need to take a chill pill every now and then and just try to live in harmony for a change =)
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
You got a point there mate. Wink

(September 2, 2009 at 10:41 am)Retorth Wrote: That is a good saying...honestly, there is no end to debating...Nobody is going to change anyone's perspectives at the end of the day... we need to take a chill pill every now and then and just try to live in harmony for a change =)

Though I dont need the sedatives... But if you do then by all means take some.

But really I don't debate for the sake of convincing anyone too much, that's a secondary issue... I just debate for the sake of debating. I don't care too much whether I win or lose. And it really amuses me how easily people can lose their cool here. Big Grin
Atheism: The beleif that there was nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything..... Makes perfect sense. :confused2:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11564 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik