Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] t-shirt to soul topic
[split] t-shirt to soul topic
(September 4, 2009 at 12:10 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I would think that it's not fictional but it is fictitious? Isn't 'fictional' a deliberate attempt when fictitious is just plain false? I read that they basically have the same definition, but fictional has more of a deliberate connotation, like a fictional story for instance.
Yes. Both mean made up, imagined. The Soul is not imagined, it's an attempt to describe something real... human consciousness and personality.
RE: Today, my daughter will mostly be wearing...
Our mind is responsible for consciousness and personality... there is no soul. All of our emotions and thoughts, our personality and observance: is because of our mind.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(September 4, 2009 at 2:32 pm)Saerules Wrote: Our mind is responsible for consciousness and personality... there is no soul. All of our emotions and thoughts, our personality and observance: is because of our mind.
Isn't the mind like the soul something else we struggle to describe? As mind does not = soul then the two descriptors get to live.
I do not struggle to describe it... my 'mind' is my brain.
So it's you brain now! No - your brain is that lump of mush in your head. Your mind isn't the same thing. Are your thoughts lil bits of mush do you think?
(September 4, 2009 at 4:13 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: So it's you brain now! No - your brain is that lump of mush in your head. Your mind isn't the same thing. Are your thoughts lil bits of mush do you think?

If your brain is a lump of mush in your head... i would say that you are mindless Smile
Smile ..Srsly tho'... we know the brain produces thoughts.. and thoughts we describe as existing in the mind.. the brain is the machine that produces thought via electro chemical reaction - it isn't the thought itself. The brain is the bus. It's never the passenger. The passenger is free to duplicate itself into other brains. Should there be a severe electrical storm it could kill a large number of passengers. If the brain is damaged then there may not be room for so many passengers as previously.

Ppl here have suggested that thoughts are physically existent in themselves. Although I disagree and think whatever electro chemical composition masses together to form them, this doesn't represent the thought itself, much like documents on my computer... it's dead storage.
The passenger is the thought generated by the brain... if the brain is damaged: it produces few thoughts. I do like you analogy btw Smile

Thoughts are physically in the brain, and the brain generates them. All of it is physical... our thoughts are very much like the internet: there is a series of connected servers, and those servers communicate with the individual computers around the world.

I truly think that thought is a sixth sense to our surroundings, as in thought we recall what the other senses have perceived, and join them together to create new knowledge of our surroundings, which gives us a greater perception of our surroundings.

That, i think, is why we evolved thought in the first place... and our brain is what generates it... as much as our brain generates our ability to see, hear, feel, taste, and smell. It is as physical a thing as our eyes, ears, skin, taste buds, and nose are... a neuron is just a lot smaller Smile
(September 4, 2009 at 2:18 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Yes. Both mean made up, imagined. The Soul is not imagined, it's an attempt to describe something real... human consciousness and personality.

I'm not talking about that definition of a soul. I'm talking about something more like a 'life spirit' that us humans have, or that all living things have, conscious or unconscious. Well, basically I'm talking about any definition of 'soul' that would be supernatural or paranormal in any way whatsoever. Something out of the ordinary I mean. Since I assume that when Rhizo says he believes in souls and afterlife, he is not simply announcing that not only does he believe in an afterlife, but he also believes in consciousness and personality! - Ooh shocking!!

EvF
Hehe, i got talking to Fr0do, and forgot that it was Rhizo i originally responded to Smile Or did i originally respond to fr0do? Ah, what the hey Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1659 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4121 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23708 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4622 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1755 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"? CristW 73 14363 October 6, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  The acts of Virtues derive from a Soul or social obligation? CristW 6 2374 September 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: CristW
  I'd like to buy your soul, interested? hughmanwho 5 1350 July 15, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  New Tee Shirt, Get the f*ck out! atheist04330 33 5964 July 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Proof of the soul? JesusLover1 50 12648 March 6, 2014 at 11:23 am
Last Post: pocaracas