Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bible as a fiction?
The bible as a fiction?
If you remove the 'bible is inspired by god' from the bible itself and see it as a fictional book written by men, what genre will you classify the bible under?

I will probably classify it under the fantasy genre.

1) There are God and gods mentioned in the bible.
2) The miracles in the bible can be seen as magic.
3) There are dragon mentioned in the final book of the bible, the revelation.

What are some of the themes you will think the bible contains if it is a mere fictional book?

Do you think it is good to read the bible as a mere fiction? Why yes and why no?
RE: The bible as a fiction?
Fantasy/Racist/Sci-Fi
Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Medieval...to name a few.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Why will the bible be classified under science fiction?
Wherever it ends up, it'll be in the fiction section.
(September 5, 2009 at 10:31 am)s.gal83 Wrote: If you remove the 'bible is inspired by god' from the bible itself and see it as a fictional book written by men, what genre will you classify the bible under?

I will probably classify it under the fantasy genre.

Fantasy but if I'm honest I don't even think it would have got to publication it's that badly written.

(September 5, 2009 at 10:31 am)s.gal83 Wrote: Do you think it is good to read the bible as a mere fiction? Why yes and why no?

No ... it's long, it's boring, it's full of contradictions and it's very badly written.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I would personally classify the bible in the category of mythology.In my view the bible is a complete work of fiction as are the many Greek myths that have survived to this day and age.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Question, where in the bible does it say it was inspired by God?
My recollection was of a badly written narrative that had god as a major character.
Where does it actually say God inspired it or 'it was god wot wrote this'?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 6, 2009 at 6:19 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Question, where in the bible does it say it was inspired by God?
My recollection was of a badly written narrative that had god as a major character.

"The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it."

Psalms 68:11
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(September 6, 2009 at 6:19 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Question, where in the bible does it say it was inspired by God?

Yeah. The inspiration was probably from the imaginations of the men and women of that time. Big Grin
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7602 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Telling fact from fiction robvalue 117 14121 July 23, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  From Fiction to "True Story" DeistPaladin 30 16817 July 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye