Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Critical Thinking Skills
[split] Critical Thinking Skills
Why nominate this? I feel sorry for people that are atheists but don't have basic critical thinking skills. Atheism affects almost every part of peoples lives, their morality, the meaning of life, the way that they think about sexuality, the way that they understand love, the way they treat their parents.

Why is it wrong to feel compassion for people that lack critical thinking skills and believe atheism not on the epistemological merits of atheist critiques of religion but on faith in other atheists, based on an empty headed understanding of science, claiming it disproves Gods existence, etc.
RE: AF Hall of Shame (Post Edition)
(March 24, 2013 at 2:44 am)jstrodel Wrote: i feel sorry for people that are atheists but don't have basic critical thinking skills.

Pot, kettle, black.
Not claiming all atheists lack basic critical thinking skills, but many do (e.g. not knowing the difference between inductive and deductive logic, not knowing basic science terms, etc). It is really sad to see people that become atheists and accept nihilistic views of life believing that science has disproved God's existence when science could not even come close to doing that.
Nice strawman you got there, bro. The burden of proof is in your court, asshole.
(March 24, 2013 at 2:46 am)jstrodel Wrote: It is really sad to see people that become atheists

Atheism is every newborn's default position. Religion is taught.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 24, 2013 at 2:46 am)jstrodel Wrote: Not claiming all atheists lack basic critical thinking skills, but many do (e.g. not knowing the difference between inductive and deductive logic, not knowing basic science terms, etc). It is really sad to see people that become atheists and accept nihilistic views of life believing that science has disproved God's existence when science could not even come close to doing that.

Fuck me! I had no idea that the Hall of Shame was a self nominated thead.
(March 24, 2013 at 3:07 am)cato123 Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 2:46 am)jstrodel Wrote: Not claiming all atheists lack basic critical thinking skills, but many do (e.g. not knowing the difference between inductive and deductive logic, not knowing basic science terms, etc). It is really sad to see people that become atheists and accept nihilistic views of life believing that science has disproved God's existence when science could not even come close to doing that.

Occasionally, it is. Whodathunkit?
(March 24, 2013 at 3:07 am)cato123 Wrote:

It is if you lack a sense of self awareness and irony, and are given to idiotic statements! Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 24, 2013 at 2:44 am)jstrodel Wrote: Why nominate this?

Because when you've got nothing, mockery is some comfort.
(March 24, 2013 at 2:44 am)jstrodel Wrote: Why nominate this?

Because choosing only one of your posts to nominate is like choosing which seed out of the center of a sunflower is best.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to not take critical feedback personally? copiedusername 9 1027 December 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: mordant
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7776 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Uselss skills/qualifications! (#2) [NOT SUPER SERIOUS] ignoramus 44 2076 May 2, 2019 at 8:56 am
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2336 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1437 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 757 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13782 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28731 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10218 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6025 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet