Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist, how to cope?
Atheist, how to cope?
Hey there!

I grew up as an Christian and been all my life untill I started asking questions.There were certain things that just didn't add up and didn't make any sense and I've always had that little voice of common sense nagging me...The internet is great source of information and I got what I was looking for. I now know that God/Jesus/Holy Spirit, etc do not exist. I futher know that the Bible contradicts itself in so many various places its actually funny!

Being an Atheist is going to be a bit of a lonely road though. My mom is still a very devout Christian as are most of my friends. Mom is not going to very happy with her son going to "hell" for turning his back on Christianity. How would a approach the religion subject when friends enquire about your believes these days? If we would have a discussion as to "why" I will start to state the obvious and arguments against religion which most people don't like (or want) to know. Most people don't like to hear the truth because they need something to believe in...

So, really what I want to know is how to live a happy life being an atheist? I havn't got eternal life to look forward to. I will cease to exist when I die...I still believe in being good to my fellow man and still believe in treating others like I would like to be treated but knowing that I will one day just cease to exist is a bit daunting
RE: Atheist, how to cope?
(September 8, 2009 at 4:33 pm)Craveman Wrote: So, really what I want to know is how to live a happy life being an atheist? I havn't got eternal life to look forward to. I will cease to exist when I die...I still believe in being good to my fellow man and still believe in treating others like I would like to be treated but knowing that I will one day just cease to exist is a bit daunting

Live life just like everyone else ... but without religion Smile

The following is an article someone submitted to my E-Zine on that very subject:

Says it all to me ... enjoy life Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Indeed, enjoy living brainwash-free Smile All that grime accumulating around your brain is healthy! Mad Scientist

Joke
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
In the word of the great Lenard McCoy "He's really not dead as long as we remember him."

Ooo sorry, wrong threadSmile
binnyCoffee
Welcome Craveman. Problem for me is finding people willing to discuss either way. I just love discussing it.

What persuasion is your mother/ family if you don't mind me asking?
(September 8, 2009 at 5:47 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome Craveman. Problem for me is finding people willing to discuss either way. I just love discussing it.

Shame you spend so much of your time avoiding it then isn't it?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Not here guys.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome to the forums Craveman Smile

How about this quote? This is pretty much how I view the matter, how I think of it:

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."
-- Richard Dawkins, excerpt from Chapter I, "The Anaesthetic of Familiarity," of Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder (1998)

It's one of my favourite quotes of all.

Got it from here: http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/dawkins.htm

It's from Dawkins' book Unweaving the Rainbow. Quite relevant to the matter I think Smile I recently got it myself for my birthday a few days ago, Smile I'm looking forward to reading it all.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

EvF
That is one of the greatest quotes of all time... and this includes Plato.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Yes, it is indeed truly awesome.

You have read it before?

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How the hell do theists cope with no sex before marriage? Frammo 41 16195 December 5, 2010 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Captain Scarlet