Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Festive Goes to Washington
Festive Goes to Washington
Though I admit it is not much of a commute.
I am attending a secular conference and Lobby Day hosted by the Secular Coalition for America. Tonight was the reception. Met some interesting individuals. Saw an okay comedian... Open bar (always a plus Big Grin) But I'm not won over...
Tomorrow is lectures and panel discussions about issues attendees will be lobbying for on Friday... We shall see... I'm actually really surprised by two features: 1: How few people were in attendance tonight. 2: The lack of regular people... Most of the people I met are activists in some capacity. No "Joe the Plumber" types. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.
RE: Festive Goes to Washington
Joe's in church....with the rest of the morons.
Woman, if I weren't wrapped up in showing David around when we come up, I'd demand we get a drink.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I'll catch you next time you roll through DC, Summer Smile
There was a much bigger turn-out today for the panel discussions (around 80 people I'm guessing, which is better than the 30-40 people who turned up last night). Talked with lots of people from all over the US. I'm pleasantly surprised how well represented the bible-belt is! Even still the majority of people seem to be from the East and West coasts, but that is to be expected. I've only met 4 or 5 Joe Schmo's such as myself, I'm happy that average citizens are there to represent.
The panel discussions were really great. Though a few were demonstrative of how difficult it is to form an effective coalition amongst non-believers. It truly is akin to herding cats. The health issues panel, in particular showcased this. There was a woman from a Catholic Pro-Choice group, and though she was very liberal, during the Q and A portion of the discussion people were attacking her for being Catholic. I get it, however, it take some balls to come to a secular conference as a Catholic (worthy of some kudos in my book), and being religious shouldn't exclude people from supporting the same cause. Interesting discussions on discrimination, education, and tax exemption. Though they shouldn't have saved the tax issue for the final panel of the day, everyone was tired, and tax discussions can be a bit on the dull side, though the points being made were very intriguing.
Then a bunch of people headed out to protest at the Bangladesh embassy in support of the bloggers who are under threat of death. Here's a pic of us ready to set out from the hotel to the embassy: https://twitter.com/MrAtheistPants/statu...53/photo/1
All in all, a very interesting, informative, and motivating day. I'm excited to go and lobby tomorrow Big Grin
(April 25, 2013 at 1:10 am)festive1 Wrote: Though I admit it is not much of a commute.

That doesn't tell me much but a rarely visited monument is the one for Jefferson. The play of light seems to work all day long any season of the year.
Yeah, I don't get to the Jefferson memorial often, mainly due to being with little kids who would prefer to see Natural History or Air and Space. But you're right, it's one of my favorites, I also like the FDR though its a slog around the tidal basin. I still haven't made it to the newish MLK memorial either... Maybe this weekend... We'll see if the kids are up for a long walk Smile DC really is a great city, even if the eternal politicking can drive us locals crazy Tongue

ETA: Montecello is stunning as well. If you come out to the DC area, it is definately worth the drive.
(April 25, 2013 at 8:32 pm)festive1 Wrote: Yeah, I don't get to the Jefferson memorial often, mainly due to being with little kids who would prefer to see Natural History or Air and Space. But you're right, it's one of my favorites, I also like the FDR though its a slog around the tidal basin. I still haven't made it to the newish MLK memorial either... Maybe this weekend... We'll see if the kids are up for a long walk Smile DC really is a great city, even if the eternal politicking can drive us locals crazy Tongue

ETA: Montecello is stunning as well. If you come out to the DC area, it is definately worth the drive.

I left in 1991 after 24 years so I haven't seen the new ones. Born and raised in Cincinnati for 22 years but the DC area, NOVA, is my home town and the font of my nostalgia. Back when playing parent Natural History and Air&Space were also the priorities of the youngun. In my case they were mine too. It did him good. Don't discourage it.
I think my boys would mutiny if we never took them to the museums again! Tongue
I feel pretty bad for kids who aren't lucky enough to live close enough for the metro to see the museums there. We practically lived in the Natural History museum during the summer.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Washington state suing olong with other ass backward states binny 0 1439 March 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: binny