Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're unhinged
You're unhinged
Quote:Many people find comfort in religious faith, but a provocative new study links certain beliefs with emotional problems. The study, published April 10 in the Journal of Religion & Health, showed that people who believe in an angry, vengeful god are more likely to suffer from social anxiety, paranoia, obsessional thinking, and compulsions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24...97025.html
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: You're unhinged
This has been discussed several times on the Reasonable Doubts podcast. I recommend anyone who likes learning about religion to listen to that 'cast. They've got some great guys and discuss some great studies.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Wow, I am super interested in reading that paper, but 40 USD? Fuck me.

As someone who suffers from emotional problems and spent many hours with all kinds of different people that did too, I found it fascinating how differently the believers and non-believers approached their problems.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Re: RE: You're unhinged
(April 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm)Maelstrom Wrote:
Quote:Many people find comfort in religious faith, but a provocative new study links certain beliefs with emotional problems. The study, published April 10 in the Journal of Religion & Health, showed that people who believe in an angry, vengeful god are more likely to suffer from social anxiety, paranoia, obsessional thinking, and compulsions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24...97025.html

As I suspected. Glass to know the work is being done on recognising these issues.
First of all, thank you for the link.

Next, I want to stress a part of the article you posted:
"The study looked only at the correlation between beliefs and mental health and not at causality, so the study's take-away message is subject to interpretation."
(...) "We don't know whether it was the poorer mental health (anxiety, paranoia) that caused subjects to perceive God as punitive, or whether it was the view of God as punitive that caused the poor mental health," Dr. Robert Koenig (...) told The Huffington Post in an email."

In other words, I do think that the phrase 'correlation does not imply causation' can be used here as a critical side note.
Not surprising. Believers will mold their god to reflect their own inner nature. Christians seem to see Jesus as a glorified vision of themselves. That's why Jesus is liberal and conservative, authoritarian and a rebel, gay, straight, bi and celibate, black and white, etc. What Jesus is to them often says more about them than anything else.

It's a bit like dreams reflecting one's own state of mind.

So if someone conjures a nasty, angry, vengeful god, that can't be a good indication of one's state of mind.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I don't recall where, but I remember reading about how geographic location affected the way UFOs and aliens were described by those who claimed to see or encounter them. As if to say that such things as UFOs and aliens are, in essence, a cultural phenomenon. Aliens "seen" in the USA were generally short, with grey skin and proportionally large heads and eyes, whereas those seen in... Norway (I think) were taller, had lighter skin and smaller heads. It was an interesting article.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 26, 2013 at 9:22 am)Luminox Wrote: First of all, thank you for the link.

Next, I want to stress a part of the article you posted:
"The study looked only at the correlation between beliefs and mental health and not at causality, so the study's take-away message is subject to interpretation."
(...) "We don't know whether it was the poorer mental health (anxiety, paranoia) that caused subjects to perceive God as punitive, or whether it was the view of God as punitive that caused the poor mental health," Dr. Robert Koenig (...) told The Huffington Post in an email."

I honestly think that we're more likely than anything else to create God in our own image. So, if these people are unhinged and want God to smite their enemies, they'll come up with a concept of God who's willing to do that.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Re: RE: You're unhinged
(April 26, 2013 at 11:26 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I honestly think that we're more likely than anything else to create God in our own image. So, if these people are unhinged and want God to smite their enemies, they'll come up with a concept of God who's willing to do that.
They already came up with the devil guy who will supposedly deal their enemies after all is said and done, apart from their own actions and the supposed god too.
Quote:So, if these people are unhinged and want God to smite their enemies, they'll come up with a concept of God who's willing to do that.

Yup.

Eccle. 3:5

Quote:A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

Gotta give the muslims credit. They've got a whole religion based around gathering or throwing stones!