Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improvement?
Improvement?
Here is an add about abuse, but all I see is a suggestion to stay away from the eyes!

[Image: 0FIwEIc.jpg]
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
RE: Improvement?
It is not as though an Islamic man would worry about anyone seeing her black eye, because Islamic law stands behind his right to beat his wife if she gets out of line.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
This is just really fucking infuriating. How can anyone treat another human being like that.
Islam or no, both men (and women!) need to remember that hitting one's partner is never an option. I feel a deep loathing for those who do Dodgy
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 26, 2013 at 3:09 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Islam or no, both men (and women!) need to remember that hitting one's partner is never an option. I feel a deep loathing for those who do Dodgy

I agree. Nothing is worth hurting a love one on both sides.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
I think it's a nice ad. It portrays that no matter how much you try, domestic violence cannot be hidden out of sight.
I didn't see it as an invitation to steer clear from the eyes.

There is a long debate on hitting women in Islam. And not all communities explain the verse (4:43) that allows it the same way.
This has to do with how every Arabic word can be interpreted in several, usually different, ways.

But the final judge is history:

http://www.answering-islam.org/ Wrote:Ibn Ishaq (c. 704-768), a biographer of Muhammad, who is considered mostly reliable by modern historians (except for the miracles and some chronology), summarizes this part of Muhammad’s sermon, which was delivered during his last pilgrimage to Mecca and heard by thousands:

You have rights over your wives and they have rights over you. You have the right that they should not defile your bed and that they should not behave with open unseemliness. If they do, God allows you to put them in separate rooms and to beat them but not with severity. If they refrain from these things, they have the right to their food and clothing with kindness. Lay injunctions on women kindly, for they are prisoners with you having no control of their own persons. (Guillaume’s translation, p. 651)
"If God listened to the prayers of men, all men would quickly have perished: for they are forever praying for evil against one another." - Epicurus
(April 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm)lordxenu Wrote:
http://www.answering-islam.org/ Wrote:Lay injunctions on women kindly, for they are prisoners with you having no control of their own persons. (Guillaume’s translation, p. 651)
The mandate to own people as posessions and beat them for being so. Nice.
Sum ergo sum
(April 26, 2013 at 6:25 pm)Ben Davis Wrote: The mandate to own people as posessions and beat them for being so. Nice.

Yes, but "not with severity." You can just feel the effort from all the way over here.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Yeah. For those who have stayed clear of Muslim Scholar's 'Women and Marriage challenge'-thread, his opinion was that you can hit women and children as long as you don't leave a visible mark. Because that makes domestic violence so much more tolerable.. '-_-
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 27, 2013 at 1:34 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Yeah. For those who have stayed clear of Muslim Scholar's 'Women and Marriage challenge'-thread, his opinion was that you can hit women and children as long as you don't leave a visible mark. Because that makes domestic violence so much more tolerable.. '-_-

That is sad. I understand disciplining your child, and that should be extremely limited. But, to hit your spouse. That is a no go for me.

I would never hit my future wife. (Future since I am not married lol).