Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian things
Christian things
I'm sure I could totally figure this out by myself without the forums help but I like to hear opinions lol. I'm still converting. I don't believe anymore. I wear a cross necklace that my parents bought me. It has been kinda bugging me because I don't believe anymore but I'm still advertising with the cross. Should I take it off?
RE: Christian things
Yes. .....
It is just a bit of jewellery... it doesn't mean anything.
Cunt
I have this urge to come out as an atheist even though it would cause many many problems. I still have the urge for them to know. Is that bad?
Quote:I'm still converting.
Deconverting.* You got it right in your profile. Big Grin

Also, like Frankie said: it's just material. Plastic/metal/glass molded into a shape.
If it bugs you: take it off.
If not, carry on wearing it.

(May 1, 2013 at 11:18 am)Bohook24 Wrote: I have this urge to come out as an atheist even though it would cause many many problems. I still have the urge for them to know. Is that bad?

Depends how old you are.
If you're young; it's probably better to wait until you're out of their house: living outside of their rules.
If you're an independent person, then it may be a good idea to tell them if it comes up in conversation. I don't recommend calling them one day and "Hey, Mom, I'm an atheist. *Sziclack*"
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
If you are still under your parents roof, it would be wise to keep the charade until you can live on your own, I know you feel the urge to be sincere about your lack of belief, but some people have got severe consequences from doing so due to fundie parents.

You should know your parents better than we, so its up to you to evaluate how will they respond to that.
(May 1, 2013 at 11:00 am)Bohook24 Wrote: I wear a cross necklace that my parents bought me. It has been kinda bugging me because I don't believe anymore but I'm still advertising with the cross. Should I take it off?

One possible approach is to make atheism seem less offensive by comparison to something else.

For example, instead of taking off the necklace with the cross on it, attach the cross upside-down. Big Grin
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 1, 2013 at 11:47 am)Tonus Wrote:
(May 1, 2013 at 11:00 am)Bohook24 Wrote: I wear a cross necklace that my parents bought me. It has been kinda bugging me because I don't believe anymore but I'm still advertising with the cross. Should I take it off?

One possible approach is to make atheism seem less offensive by comparison to something else.

For example, instead of taking off the necklace with the cross on it, attach the cross upside-down. Big Grin

I definetly thought about that lol but it doesn't attach that way haha
(May 1, 2013 at 11:00 am)Bohook24 Wrote: I'm sure I could totally figure this out by myself without the forums help but I like to hear opinions lol. I'm still converting. I don't believe anymore. I wear a cross necklace that my parents bought me. It has been kinda bugging me because I don't believe anymore but I'm still advertising with the cross. Should I take it off?

Is it beautiful, do you like it? Then keep it. Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 1, 2013 at 11:00 am)Bohook24 Wrote: I'm sure I could totally figure this out by myself without the forums help but I like to hear opinions lol. I'm still converting. I don't believe anymore. I wear a cross necklace that my parents bought me. It has been kinda bugging me because I don't believe anymore but I'm still advertising with the cross. Should I take it off?

Your parents brought it for you so it has more meaning than just a christian symbol. But if it makes you uncomfortable then ditch it.

I don't wear my wedding ring because my finger reacted to it and I don't like the feel of rings.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.